Re: Slow-Unresponsive remote due to IR interference?
Westcoast3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been VERY frustrated with my new FIOS service.  First, I had to postpone the install and they cut off my copper phone service. It took 15 reps and 3 days before it was reconnected.  Yesterday we had intermittent outages of phone, mail and internet for about an 8 hour period.  I called & at least they put up an automated recognition that they were having trouble, but no details or a timeline to fix it.

This problem with the remotes is pretty scary, don't they test these devices in a variety of environments?  And what's the deal with this forum?  I've not seen any postings from Verizon regarding this dumbass problem.  One would think they just might have a moderator who's paying attention, but I guess that's too much to ask.

They apparently have some offshore CSR's who can really only respond to your chat with canned responses.  It can get pretty frustrating.

The FIOS is a good deal pricewise; I pay about $122 incl tax and the resolution in HD is much better than my previous TWC.  I don't like the screen guide though, it's way too busy and hard to read.

I stuck a post-it over the IR receptor on the front of the boxe(s) and it worked.  I have CFL lights all through the house and the lag was VERY aggravating.  With this many comments here I would now say this is a KNOWN PROBLEM!

tonyro1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anybody know where the IR sensor is on the black Cisco DVR box?

This problem has been driving me CRAZY!!! Very annoyed that I've talked to multiple Verizon reps, had both a new remote and new box sent to me along with an IR extender, and none of them acted like they'd ever heard of my issue before.  Hoping the Post It method will work for me tonight.  Was ready to go back to Comcast.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

@tonyro wrote:

Anybody know where the IR sensor is on the black Cisco DVR box?

This problem has been driving me CRAZY!!! Very annoyed that I've talked to multiple Verizon reps, had both a new remote and new box sent to me along with an IR extender, and none of them acted like they'd ever heard of my issue before.  Hoping the Post It method will work for me tonight.  Was ready to go back to Comcast.

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:   http://www.verizon.com/repair

You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
tonyro1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just want to update that the Post It note solution worked.  I have the black Cisco DVR STB and I simply stuck a yellow Post It note over the IR sensor and now my remote is working.  I have no idea how/why it works but it does.  Thanks to the poster above who suggested!

0 Likes
tonyro1
Enthusiast - Level 1

ornahp wrote:   If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:   http://www.verizon.com/repair

You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

I called into Verizon at least 3 times for assistance.  None of the reps I spoke to were familiar with the issue and some of them recommended "solutions" that didn't work and cost Verizon money (shipping me a new remote, an IR extender, and a new STB).  The fact that it is necessary to stick a Post It note to my STB as a solution is ridiculous but it works so I'm content with it.  But your products should be tested and issues like this should be addressed.  If I'm having the issue that means many people are having it.  And your phone reps should be familiar with the issue and have a solution.  I have other choices in service providers and expect better support than this.

0 Likes
Fisticuffs

I experimented with a few different materials since this problem has been driving me crazy for months.  FiOS has sent me a new box and a new remote in trying to troubleshoot the problem.  No luck.

So I applied about 5 layers of aluminum foil to the back of a piece of duct tape and tried positioning the foil in different places.  Eventually, I found that after blocking the bottom half of the LCD display, the remote works perfectly. 

It isn't a super elegant solution, but whatever, it works.

0 Likes