Slow VOD Repsonse
digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1

Seems that over the past couple weeks, VOD has been REAAAALLY slow to respond.. And most of the time, the very first time I select a VOD program, it times out and popups up the timout error message.. Once it does reposd and popups up the menu where I can select "Watch" it takes another 20 years for the program to actually start playing.. One time the whole STB powered off and completely rebooted itself after I selected a VOD program too..

Start/Stop/Rewind are usually pretty unresponsive as well.. This is on ALL STBs..

Here is what I can tell you:
The QoS Settings for the STBs are still in the router

I've tried resetting the router to defaults, nogo

I've reset and had re-intitalized all STBs, nogo.

My internet connection is 20/20 and is not taxed.

When the program DOES start (20 years later) it does play just fine.

It seems like the STBs are having trouble talking to the VOD servers when it comes to starting a program. Could this just be a slow database server? The actual content plays ok..

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Slow VOD Repsonse
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

I would be interested to know this as well, as I experience similar issues as well.

However, last I heard, this was a known issue, and Verizon was working on to resolve it.  Not set ETA yet though.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Not sure if it is the same issue I've had in the past but you can give my solution a try.

Most of the time the vod runs smoothly but on occasion I get slow responces to my request. When that happens. I go to..

Menu>settings>system information

1.  Type 8888 using the remote, this will flush out any built up logs (like deleting temp files on windows). then

2.  Type 2617 using the remote, This will clear the native memory and reload the guide, etc, then

3.  Type 1472 using the remote. This will clear any crash logs. Finally

4.  Type 2601 using the remote. This will reboot the stb.

Normally, I can skip step 2, dont have to do this one often. Most of the time 1,3,and 4 are sufficient. Do this on a non-dvr first to see if it works, if so then repeat on others.

If you need to use step 2, This may delete your scheduled programs (will not affect already recorded shows but may delete out the upcomming programs) and also may clear your favorites.

digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1

Wow, I executed all of these commands, and that actually made VOD *MUCH* more responsive!!

Thanks for these!

0 Likes
digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1

One thing to note about the 2617 command, as you had mentioned, you'll lose all settings on the STB. It's like reverting to defaults or "re-initializing" as tech support calls it.

The 2601 command is $$ though, becuase now when a box is acting up (if I'm able to get to the settings menu) I can give it a soft reboot without unplugging it or going online and resetting it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebrismark wrote:

Not sure if it is the same issue I've had in the past but you can give my solution a try.

Most of the time the vod runs smoothly but on occasion I get slow responces to my request. When that happens. I go to..

Menu>settings>system information

1.  Type 8888 using the remote, this will flush out any built up logs (like deleting temp files on windows). then

2.  Type 2617 using the remote, This will clear the native memory and reload the guide, etc, then

3.  Type 1472 using the remote. This will clear any crash logs. Finally

4.  Type 2601 using the remote. This will reboot the stb.

Normally, I can skip step 2, dont have to do this one often. Most of the time 1,3,and 4 are sufficient. Do this on a non-dvr first to see if it works, if so then repeat on others.

If you need to use step 2, This may delete your scheduled programs (will not affect already recorded shows but may delete out the upcomming programs) and also may clear your favorites.

At least for one person these steps worked and apparently solved his problem. If a few more report that it works (or even if they don't) this might make a good candidate for a "sticky," might save a fews posts or calls to the FSC.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1
It seems that this only works right after doing it.. then about a day later goes right back... This isn't a good solution, and hopefully the software team is looking into it.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
did you try the codes a second time? was it effective again? and then went back to slow responses later? If this helps on a temp basis, then that may be beneficial to the techs/engineers. Something about the stb building up logs or something? If nothing else it gives us more info to go on.
0 Likes
digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1
The only thing that helps is rebooting the box. The logs don't seem to have any effect.
0 Likes