Smaller size box that is HD capable
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will there ever be a more compact size set top box that can provide HD?  I thought I had read somewhere that there was a digital adapter in the works with HDMI output, and since the "HD" in HDMI stands for high definiton, I would think that it would support HD if that is the case.

I can see the scenario coming up where we may have an HD set in a location where a full size set top box just won't fit, but without some kind of adapter there is no way of getting an HD picture except for a few local channels (if the set has the right tuner).  Anybody else see this as a need?

0 Likes
Re: Smaller size box that is HD capable
prisaz
Legend

@TR-Tim wrote:

Will there ever be a more compact size set top box that can provide HD?  I thought I had read somewhere that there was a digital adapter in the works with HDMI output, and since the "HD" in HDMI stands for high definiton, I would think that it would support HD if that is the case.

I can see the scenario coming up where we may have an HD set in a location where a full size set top box just won't fit, but without some kind of adapter there is no way of getting an HD picture except for a few local channels (if the set has the right tuner).  Anybody else see this as a need?

If you purchase a new HD set, be sure it is DCR (Digital Cable Ready) then you can use a cable card in the TV, with no STB. $3.99 a month. You would not get any of the Widget, channel guide, or VOD features though. It would behave the same way the current SD digital adapter works, but allow HD. That is the here and now, but as far as the future goes, it is anybodys guess.

0 Likes
Steeljaw

Where can you find  Digital Cable Ready (DCR) TV that accepts a CableCard?  I have looked and looked but when I ask the "Experts" they say there is no such thing for TV.  I want a small HDTV for a Kitchen counter.  I have Verizizon FIOS.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Steeljaw wrote:

Where can you find  Digital Cable Ready (DCR) TV that accepts a CableCard?  I have looked and looked but when I ask the "Experts" they say there is no such thing for TV.  I want a small HDTV for a Kitchen counter.  I have Verizizon FIOS.

I don't know of any TVs that are now being made that use a CableCard.

0 Likes
rickb1066

does anyone know of a list of CableCARD ready TVs?  I have found only one, which is older, but with more expanded list, could possibly find a used one that fits my needs.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

is this too big?

prisaz
Legend

I am waiting for the DVR / Media Server with the velcro STBs.Smiley Frustrated