Re: So, what did Verizon just do to the Firewire port?
xavier
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've examined with TSPE the USA HD and SyFy HD streams that I get from the 1394 port, and they are not flagged Do not Copy.

To those that insist this is a hardware issue -- I've not tried this once and gave up. I've gone back and forth between the OTA channels and the subscription channels, several times, and the OTA channels are reliably stable, and the subscription channels reliably stop sending out the 1394 port. Therefore, this is not a hardware issue. If Verizon decided to do something to prevent extracting the streams from these particular channels, the least they could do is say so. I am posting this in here because Verizon employees also monitor these forums, and I would like them to make a public confirmation or denial of this. If they state flatly that they've done nothing new, then I'll consider a new box.

0 Likes
xavier
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should add that No-Copy flags would not cause the stream to stop sending every few seconds -- it would simply not send for certain channels.

But yeah, it's clear that Verizon is not inclined to address it here in the open so I guess I am in for a long chain of phone calls, climbing up the management tree, until I get a solid answer either way.

0 Likes
Myron4

This is an IMG 1.7.1 software issue which has made the 1394 port on the 7216 STBs basically useless.

6416 STBs are apparently unaffected.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@xavier wrote:

I should add that No-Copy flags would not cause the stream to stop sending every few seconds -- it would simply not send for certain channels.

But yeah, it's clear that Verizon is not inclined to address it here in the open so I guess I am in for a long chain of phone calls, climbing up the management tree, until I get a solid answer either way.

Sorry xavier, but "These Forums are a peer-to-peer support channel in which users help other users. If you need an answer from Verizon directly please Contact Us. " as the vz forums indicate at the beginning of the forum threads.

that might be a better avenue or channel for you to go through if you're looking for a VZ direct response answer.

If you're interested in finding and fixing the issue though, like I Said earlier, you may want to reach out to other users that use the firewire and see if they are getting the same issue.  IF THEY ARE NOT. then the problem is isolated to something strictly at your house, and then we're back at the beginning where it would be a hardware issue of some sort.

so..... idk    take it for what it's worth.

good luck though, and let us know what happens/or what is the answer...

0 Likes
xavier
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I am going to call this one solved. Not by anything I did -- I haven't really paid any attention to it since the last posting, didn't call Verizon nothing. And now it "just works". Magically, the same way it stopped "just working" before.

So as I maintained, there was no hardware problem (none of the hardware configurations have changed since my previous postings, in fact, I don't think I've rebooted any of the machines involved). I've not changed any connectors or even reseated any connections. Clearly, whatever firmware update Verizon did that caused this, they undid it, or fixed whatever was wrong.

Once more, the world is spinning in greased grooves...

0 Likes