Some HD Channels distorted
jbisett
Enthusiast - Level 2

A&E HD, DSC HD, and HGTV HD are coming in distorted on a new box I just received.  Initially BTN HD and ESPNU HD were not coming in at all.  I removed the cable connector from the wall and installed a new one.  Now those two channels come in fine.  These others channels though are coming in distorted.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Also curious if Verizon charges for a tech to come out and resolve the issue.

0 Likes
Re: Some HD Channels distorted
PJL
Master - Level 3

@jbisett wrote:

A&E HD, DSC HD, and HGTV HD are coming in distorted on a new box I just received.  Initially BTN HD and ESPNU HD were not coming in at all.  I removed the cable connector from the wall and installed a new one.  Now those two channels come in fine.  These others channels though are coming in distorted.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Also curious if Verizon charges for a tech to come out and resolve the issue.

Please describe what you mean by "distorted" so we can offer some advice.

0 Likes
jbisett
Enthusiast - Level 2

By distorted I mean, part of the picture becomes blurry and the sound cuts out.  It isn't the whole screen just parts of it.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@jbisett wrote:

By distorted I mean, part of the picture becomes blurry and the sound cuts out.  It isn't the whole screen just parts of it.

I believe you may be describing pixilation, which are momentary losses of signal that can cause the sound an picture to glitch.  You are seeing it on channels that I believe are using the same QAM frequencies that carry the channels as a pair, indicating you may have a problem with your coax that is impacting specific QAM channels signal strength.  You should check all of your coax connectors from the ONT (the Verizon interface box) to the STB.  Remove them and reseat them fully.

0 Likes
jbisett
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, Pixilation.  Quick update, ended up calling a tech out to check out the issue.  He stated the same thing that the connectors probably were not right.  He ended up replacing two connectors and the problem still existed.  It turned out to be a defective box.  He had another one and once he replaced the box the channels came in fine.  So always be cautious of the equipment as well.  The box he gave me was the 3rd one I went through.  The first box Verizon sent worked fine for a day then just randomly rebooted every 15 minutes.  So they sent me another which had this issue.  There was a big green R stamped on the packaging they sent the my two receivers in.  I am pretty confident that means refurbished.  The tech was good about it and apologized for the inconvience.