Some HD channels not coming in
sheff1003

I have been having a problem with such channels as USA, the golf channel, and most of the channels in the 600's.  I ran the self-diagnostic test and S/N ratio was 18.  A tech came out and when he was there, it happened to be 24 and those channels worked for the first time in months.  He said everything was fine and left.  Of course that night they didnt work again and was back down to 18.  Called Verizon and they sent a new box.  Hooked that up and had a 26 and figured everything was fine.  Next day it is back down to 19 and channels arent coming in again. 

Does anybody know what causes the S/N ratio to go up or down or have had a similar problem and know how it was resolved?  The techs on the phone are useless and just have me undo the coaxial and hook it back up, which does nothing.

0 Likes
Re: Some HD channels not coming in
crewdog

I have had the same problem. I can't seem to get anyone from Verizon to look into the issue.

0 Likes
Pauly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reseating the coax cable in a lot of instances with fix channels missing or tiling. The fact that your snr is going up and down like that sounds like either you have a bad splitter, coax cable, or you have an amp somewhere that is not working or going bad. The amp is usually in bigger houses.

Justin46
Legend

@Pauly wrote:

Reseating the coax cable in a lot of instances with fix channels missing or tiling. The fact that your snr is going up and down like that sounds like either you have a bad splitter, coax cable, or you have an amp somewhere that is not working or going bad. The amp is usually in bigger houses.

Very good advice. Just remember, the potentially lose or bad coax connection is not necessarily at the back of your STB, it can be at the wall, on either side of the splitter, or at the ONT. And another potential problem can be a damaged coax by perhaps a nail driven into the coax during installation, or the coax being deformed somehow. This also can result in some channels (frequencies) being ok and others not, and that can change due to temperature changes, etc, (ie, hot attic during the day). So it probably makes sense to reseat all of them and to check the integrity of the coax as best you can. If nothing else, maybe you can make the problem constant so that Verizon can identify the problem and fix it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Along the same lines, I had a similar issue with on STB in my house and whenever I would completely disconnect one specific STB elsewhere in the house, the problem would go away.  The replaced the box I was having and it didn't fix the problem ... a swap of boxes between locations (I have four boxes) saw the problem stay with the location --- not the box.   Ultimately -- tracked it down and figured out is was a bad STB elsewhere in the house (it was creating noise on the coax -- remember that the signal to noise ratio can change either due to the strengh of the signal OR because of the level of noise).

Lesson learned was -- disconnect everything except for the malfunctioning box when troubleshooting -- and move the STB box around (starting close to the ONT and moving toward the desired endpoint) until the problem reappears. 

-lasagna (aka "ravioli" but now no longer having my pasta identity crisis thanks to the moderators)

0 Likes