Sony 4K Projector Won't Work with FIOS TV One box
Philly2151
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sony VPL 295es native 4K projector won't work with new FIOS TV one box.  I connected the box directly to the projector and cannot get a picture to display. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sony 4K Projector Won't Work with FIOS TV One box
Philly2151
Enthusiast - Level 1

I checked all of the things you suggested, but for some reason, the signal from the set top box will not display.  However, when I route the TV One box signal through my 4k compatible receiver...voilà!!   IT'S ALIVE!!!  For some reason, the projector prefers the signal from the receiver.

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the box setup to display 4K out? How long is HDMI cable to projector? Is projector setup to accept any input resolution? Have you checked output of box with another TV to make sure it's working?

CM210
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use a firewire adapter coming out of my phone going to a projector.  Always worked fine but now I am getting 

CONTENT RESTRICTIONS

Capturing a video stream is not permitted.  To resume streaming, disable video capture.   

I think they block the signal from streaming out so you cant record the content on an external device.   I tunes does this even if you buy a movie, it can't be played on a projector.  I think they are doing the same thing.  

Philly2151
Enthusiast - Level 1

I checked all of the things you suggested, but for some reason, the signal from the set top box will not display.  However, when I route the TV One box signal through my 4k compatible receiver...voilà!!   IT'S ALIVE!!!  For some reason, the projector prefers the signal from the receiver.

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery.

MikeK8
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem with my Sony VPL385es projector. However, my Denon receiver is older and isn’t 4K compatible so routing the HDMI through my receiver won’t help get a 4K video image. I spoke with Sony customer support and they suggested getting an EDIT Emulator. I got one made by gofanco on Amazon for $65 and my HDMI is routed through it to the projector. I have an optical cable connected from the FIOS box to the receiver for audio. I get a video image now but in the video settings on the FIOS box it will only accept 1080p and when I try to select 2160p I get the following error “Unable to change to the selected video format, it may not be supported on this TV or can not be changed at this time”

Before I try investing in a 4K compatible receiver and routing the HDMI through it, can someone who this solution worked for please tell me if you’re able to select 2160p in the video settings on the FIOS box or only 1080p. Thanks

0 Likes
DennisB43

If its not 2.2 hdcp which most equipment isnt yet then youre screwed. Most items receivers etc are 2.0 compatible 

0 Likes
MikeK8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Posting an update with a solution in case someone else has the same problem and doesn't want to invest in upgrading to a 4K compatible receiver.  My older Denon receiver works great for audio in my theater room and I didn't want to replace it.  I use an optical audio connection from the FIOS box to the receiver for sound.  The video is going straight to the projector from the FIOS box.  I tried multiple HDMI splitters and switchers in btwn the FIOS box and the projector all to no avail (made sure there was free returns).  They were all HDCP2.2 and 4K compatible but didn't solve the handshake problem btwn the projector and the FIOS One box.  I have an older Sony soundbar on another TV and tried routing the HDMI cables through that, purely to use for the video pass through and not for audio.  I got a clean picture and the video setting at 2160p for all channels other than a true 4K broadcast, which it couldn't show b/c the soundbar is pre-HDCP2.2.  I now knew there was an inexpensive solution to be had.  This Sony website listed the soundbar models that support HDR and Enhanced 4K  https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00171719.

I bought a used Sony soundbar only on Ebay (don't need the subwoofer for this since its just to solve the video handshake issue), model HT-NT5.  Other brand soundbars may work but I went with Sony just b/c my older pre-HDCP2.2 model worked other than supporting HDR.  It's effectively just being used as a video signal processor standing up in the back of my equipment rack.  Hope this helps, my trial and error was frustrating to say the least.

JimB51
Enthusiast - Level 2

I attempted to post a complete reply to this and the forum page threw up and lost it, typical of the Verizon experience.

My key points for MikeK8 were:

- Thanks you for the time and effort you put into your posting, I have had a similar experience struggling with this.  Verizon telephone 'Support' has been useless.

- After finally reaching L3 Fios support last year (when I was using a Sony VPL-HS51 HD projector with a new Fios One), I believe the issue is a long-lasting Fios bug that does not allow HDMI-CEC to be disabled (even though there is a setting available), and the Sony projectors aren't able to digest the Fios on/off and volume commands sent up the HDMI cable

- Now a year later, with a new VPL-VW295ES 4K Sony projector, the problem still exists, all I get from Fios One is beautiful 4 snow on the Sony projector

- And of course, Verizon will not let you speak with L2 / L3 now.  I had to spell 'uplink' for the phone rep.  Astounding.

- I will see if I can get a rated Sony Soundbar from EBay using the article you posted and experiment to see if it filters out the CEC signals.  Thanks again for your homework.

Jim B

0 Likes
MikeK8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good luck Jim. One thing that I’ve found since going this route is that the video doesn’t always come through the first time turning it on, I’ve had to power the soundbar on/off a few times to get it to show the video.

0 Likes
JimB51
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mike - maybe the more elegant (and permanent) approach would be to get Sony to update their projector software.  Lately their customer support line (800-222-7669) has a recording that they are not offering phone support because of C-19.  Have you tried to reach them / escalate this in the past? 

Jim

0 Likes