Re: Sony 4K Projector Won't Work with FIOS TV One box
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JimB51 wrote:

Mike - maybe the more elegant (and permanent) approach would be to get Sony to update their projector software.  Lately their customer support line (800-222-7669) has a recording that they are not offering phone support because of C-19.  Have you tried to reach them / escalate this in the past? 

Jim

Has anybody out there tried something like this between your Fios box and the projector?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21614

Thinking maybe it will correct the EDID from the TV to the Fios box through its switch . If they will take a return, I'd give it a shot instead of looking for a soundbar since that is essentially what the soundbar passthrough is doing.

0 Likes
JimB51
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried a 4K switcher that Crutchfield recommended, no love:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120M3X1SW4/Metra-ethereal-CS-HDM3X1SW4.html

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JimB51 wrote:

I tried a 4K switcher that Crutchfield recommended, no love:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120M3X1SW4/Metra-ethereal-CS-HDM3X1SW4.html

Makes no sense running through a soundbar would somehow work and the switch wont unless the soundbar is changing the edid info.

0 Likes
JimB51
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - I'm surmising that the issue is that the Verizon Fios Box is trying to send HDMI-CEC up to the projector, and the Sony doesn't know what to do with this info.  What I see on EDID is that it's what the display device (projector in this case) sends to the source.  And my hunch is that the Sony 4K projectors don't send EDID info down the HDMI, and there's no mention of EDID in the Sony VPL-VW295ES documentation.  

So do you think that EDID is involved at all here?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

My understanding of this is there is an ID provided by the display that lets the source know what the displays capabilities are and that it is connected. Sounds like one of the devices is not providing the correct info, or it isn't making it down the pipe,  or is being misinterpreted. Maybe what is needed is something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1351398-REG/apantac_edid_ew_h_all_in_one_edid.html

Or it could be a copy-protection issue that would need a different device to fix.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

HDMI CEC in the Verizon box is switched on and off using the TV input control option in the Video option menu. My guess is it could also be HDCP getting in the way. Also try going into the service menu in the Fios box and change the output to 1080i. Service menu is : power off at box,  OK 2X quickly,  left arrow, scroll down to user menu, look for additional HDMI options,  change resolution,  hit ok. Powercycle box. If projector sees signal, try changing res back to 4K 30, not 4K 60. Also make sure you have box into the correct input on the projector,  and wide color is enabled for that input. You could also try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Converter-Downgrade-supports/dp/B06XC7VLFV

0 Likes
MikeK8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Replying to a couple of questions from above here.

When I spoke to Sony customer support it was with someone in their higher level support group. He was the one who suggested an EDID emulator. Both Sony and Verizon support are pointing at each other for the problem.

I tried about 8 different EDID boxes, HDMI switches, etc. from Monoprice and Amazon. (although not specifically the #21614 from Monoprice, if anyone has luck with that one please reply) I tried putting the boxes in btwn the FIOS box and the front end of the cable going to the projector as well btwn the back end of the cable and the projector (just to make sure it wasn’t the length of the optical cable run causing anything, it’s a RUIPRO 10m optical HDMI cable going from my equipment rack to the projector) None of them worked.

I previously updated the software on the projector to make sure that it’s current.

I don’t really understand why running through a soundbar or a 4K compatible receiver does trick when none of the EDID boxes or HDMI switch will. I wanted to go this route instead of buying a new receiver b/c it pains me knowing that the Denon receiver I spent $3500 on about 15 years ago is probably worth less $100 today and it still works perfect other than its not 4K video compatible. It’s **bleep** to have to replace a receiver b/c of a video issue that s/b solved by the video equipment.

MikeK8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgot to add, I also had tried making changes through the service menu on the FIOS box, needless to say, nothing there helped

JimB51
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mike - you get the crown for a huge experiment and effort here.  Like you, I have a terrific older expensive Denon receiver that supports direct Ext-In and I'm partial to some SACDs I have (best by far is Dark Side of the Moon), so don't want to change my Denon out either because the starting point for an HDMI+Ext-In receiver is $1500.  Appreciate your efforts in trying various EDID & HDMI boxes.

Clem - I mentioned above that a L3 Fios rep told me last summer that there's a bug in the FIOS software and the HDMI-CEC 'disable' does nothing.  Seems that it's still there.

Looks like I'll box up the FIOS One (again) and revert to the 1100 series.  My goal was to enjoy my new 4K projector, and I've got a new Sony UBP-X700 Ultra HD Blu-ray player which streams 4K beautifully, and I'm happy enough with the projector and Amazon Prime / Netflix / Hulu this way.  I don't watch or DVR network TV much other than big final sports events

If I had a choice of a different Internet / TV / landline provider in my neighborhood I'd drop these guys in a heartbeat.  But cell service in the suburbs where I live is spotty so dependable calls require a landline.  The irony is that I have Verizon for cell service too, and even WiFi calling on my Verizon iPhone 8 drops!

I will go after Sony when they reopen and push for them to specifically test the 295 4K projector with Fios One and get things sorted between the companies.  But I'm resigned to substandard products and service from Verizon as a captive customer, and I'm OK with that based on my projector goal above.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MikeK8 wrote:

Replying to a couple of questions from above here.

When I spoke to Sony customer support it was with someone in their higher level support group. He was the one who suggested an EDID emulator. Both Sony and Verizon support are pointing at each other for the problem.

I tried about 8 different EDID boxes, HDMI switches, etc. from Monoprice and Amazon. (although not specifically the #21614 from Monoprice, if anyone has luck with that one please reply) I tried putting the boxes in btwn the FIOS box and the front end of the cable going to the projector as well btwn the back end of the cable and the projector (just to make sure it wasn’t the length of the optical cable run causing anything, it’s a RUIPRO 10m optical HDMI cable going from my equipment rack to the projector) None of them worked.

I previously updated the software on the projector to make sure that it’s current.

I don’t really understand why running through a soundbar or a 4K compatible receiver does trick when none of the EDID boxes or HDMI switch will. I wanted to go this route instead of buying a new receiver b/c it pains me knowing that the Denon receiver I spent $3500 on about 15 years ago is probably worth less $100 today and it still works perfect other than its not 4K video compatible. It’s **bleep** to have to replace a receiver b/c of a video issue that s/b solved by the video equipment.

Are you sure the optical system is HDCP 2.2 compatible? The Fios one boxes need that to work. Also I have a $500 Denon receiver,  a 3400 that works perfectly with my Sony UHD Bluray player and SACD in DSD mode. The main difference between the 1100box and the 4100 series was 4K, which required the jump in HDCP spec. Have you tried a conventional high speed HDMI cable between the box and projector? As was said, you've done just about everything you could. Seems like there should be a lot more complaints of incompatibility on this and Sonys forums with this issue.

0 Likes