Sony Bravia no sound
gemini1977
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Sony Bravia 4K UHD smart television that I've connected to my FIOS set top box using a high speed HDMI cable. For some reason I am not getting any sound.  The sound was fine for the first few weeks after I got it.  I've tried all the audio settings for the cable box and tv set and done all the restarting, resetting, on/off procedures for both the tv and the set top box. The hdmi cable is brand new and I've tried all the HDMI connections. I am able to get sound when viewing Netflix or Amazon video.  Additionally, when testing on my old LG HD TV I get sound as well. I'm testing on a secondary bedroom set top box model "ARRIS IPC1100P2".

This seems to be an issue with the tv set or the connection.  Any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Sony Bravia no sound
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try swapping box and cables between rooms.

See where problem goes.

That should help pinpoint issue.

0 Likes
PMZ1

I have same problem with my Sony 4K. I have the TV for almost 2 years and this only starting happening a few weeks ago. I can get the sound back after rebooting. Sometimes in comes back on the first boot and sometimes it takes a few.

I wish some one had an answer.

0 Likes
gemini1977
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a follow up to my original post, below are my observations on this issue in case it helps anyone.

Since my post, this has occured to me a couple more times.  Each time, it seems to have occured after having run one of the video streaming service apps HBOGo or Netflix.  It is just an observation, isn't consistent, and I can't say whether or not there are other apps that are causing this issue.  The sound also seems to have returned after using these apps again.  But again, this isn't consistent.  It's possible my observations are wrong or misleading but thought it worth mentioning in case it helps someone diagnose this issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What do you have to reset to make sound come back?

TV or stb?

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a Sony KDL 40V 4100 and a BRAVIA

When this NO SOUND problem occurs ..very infrequently

I just mometarily change to another channel and come back

That fixes problem for me.

0 Likes
Richnf

This same thing happened to me with Verizon Fios and a Sony Bravia 4K UHD TV. One HDMI port after another lost sound after a week or two, finally leaving me with no sound on any HDMI port while watching TV. Each HDMI port had sound when attached to a Roku or Firestick.

After weeks of resetting both TV and set-top box with variable results, and trying all sorts of crazy things, I finally discovered that the set-top box, for some reason, was sending a DVI signal through the HDMI cable instead of an HDMI signal. To fix this, I had to do the following:

With the TV attached to the set-top box via the faulty HDMI port that is not receiving sound:
1) On Verizon controller, press green “D” button and hold it (10-15 seconds) until the secret menu comes up.
2) When the menu comes up, wait for a few more seconds, and a second super secret menu comes up, showing 4 choices.
3) From this menu, choose “User Settings”
4) Next, choose “Additional HDMI settings”
5) If your problem is the same as mine, you will see that the port has been set to DVI. If so, change DVI back to HDMI.
6) Hit the exit button twice.

The sound should now be back.

You will have to repeat these steps for any other HDMI ports on your TV that are not receiving sound from the set-top box.

0 Likes
Inagodda

Just purchaded a Sony Bravia 4K TV. After set up everything was fine, then no sound. We unplugged the TV for about 2 minutes, plugged it back in  and  all was fine.

0 Likes
Emelpee66

Thank you. Worked for me. 

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes