Sony KDL46v5100 connection with 7216-1
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have purchased and replaced the Sony KDL46v5100 with the same model during the last 30 days.  The problem continues:  I have tried both component and HDMI connections to the 7216 receiver and I get the same problem.   On a random schedule, the connection is lost and I experience a brief 1-2 second loss of picture and get a black screen.   Before I return the television - again - does anyone know if it is the televison or the receiver that is the root of the problem.  It seems that the answer must be model specific but........... 

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it very much.  I have to return the television with the next week as my 30 exchange period is ending at Best Buy.   Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Re: Sony KDL46v5100 connection with 7216-1
sjbernst1
Enthusiast - Level 2
The 7216 and the other 7XXX STBs have been having handshake issues with certain Sony televisions.  There are threads on this forum which talk about the green screen.  Try and replace the 7216 with a 6416 if you can before you replace your television.
0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am assuming the green screen results from the same scenario as my black screen although I have no idea why a disconnected receiver would provide a green screen vs a black.  As far as trading for a 6416,  my concern is that I would be trading an absolutely silent, new 7216 for a used 6416 that may be noisy and I have read on these forums that the STD picture is not as good as the 7216's.  I have read through the comments in this forum as well as AVSforum and it has never been clear to me whether the problem is due to the Sony or the receiver.  If some Sony's have this issue,  is my model one of them.  I appreciate your response and recognize that is an option but it doesn't answer the question of whether it is the Sony or the receiver.  Is the 6416 bullet-proof when used with a Sony LCD?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Humble,

I doubt that there is anyone that can give you a definitive reply to any of your questions, especially the one about your TV model working with  a QIP6416. I have seen posts that say TV xyz works great on a certain STB, and another poster will say that the exact same model TV on the exact same model STB doesn't work. I think it is more of slight differences in the way a particular TV and STB adhere to, or don't adhere to, the HDMI standards, than anthing else (manufacturing tolerances or whatever).   

FWIW, I have a QIP6416 that I have had for getting close to 4 years now, quient as can be, works great with my almost 4 year old Sony LCD. And the SD picture improved greatly with the rollout of the latest IMG level, late last year. While I don't have a 7216 to compare pictures, I can say the SD picture on the 6416 is pretty much back to the way it was in the beginning before Verizon screwed it up, maybe even better.

My recommendation is to see if you can get a 6416 and see if it works. If it doesn't you probably really aren't any worse off.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks to Sjbernst and Justin.  I have a 7216 that works perfectly on a 2005 Sony XBR using component.   However, component doesn't work with the new set without the loss of connection problem.   I will do some homework on the 6416 and change if it makes sense to me.   I may also look into TIVO although I do not view that as a solution.
0 Likes
Outraged
Hi Humble. I have a Sony Bravia Model# KDL52S5100 which has the same issues that you are describing. I have been having these issues since March. I also have the 7216 and I have multiple technicians come out and replace STB’s and also give me a 6416 which also did not work. It actually was worse. While watching a DVR the show would stop playing and the screen would turn blue. Also, while watching TV the screen would blackout and up until recently I was able to rewind to see what I missed. Now I cannot even do that. Now I am missing 75% of a recording because that is how the DVR recording is being broadcasted. I am only getting about 40% viewing time of my live shows and am being told that I cannot get credit for the other 60% because I need to call them daily with the issues. Who has that much time? I contacted SONY and had them send me the update to the TV. I inserted it and updated the TV and still nothing was fixed. The update for my TV was just for the lighting in the TV and nothing to do with the broadcast.  I escalated my issue to the CEO, Ivan Seidenberg, and was finally told the truth. I was told that the blackout between the Sony and their STB will continue because of a compatibility issue. The short term solution is to connect the STB to the TV via Coax Cables.  So, I paid $2k for a TV that I have to watch via Coax. Are you serious? They told me yes and there is nothing they can do. It is a compatibility issue between certain TV’s and Verizon FIOS. Somewhere there is a list and our TV’s are on it. Verizon knows it. So, basically you can try the 6416 and try to keep calling them, or just use Coax Cable. However from my experience it is a HUGE waste of time! I am calling Bright House as I am typing this. I am no longer going to pay for something I cannot see.Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3
Outraged:  I have a V5100 and you have an S5100 and it sounds like your problems are much worse than mine.  I gave up and ordered a TIVO HD yesterday.   I will post the actual results with the TIVO after it is installed and used for a couple of weeks.   I can not use Comcast as I am at the end of a trunk-line and all my neighbors complain about the quality of their picture.   My only option is DISH Network (Directv is blocked by 140 foot trees) which I had before and was very happy with their picture quality  but their HD offerings pale in comparison to Verizon's, especially the premium movie channels.
0 Likes