Fios remote turning up Vizio Soundbar with any button
ssk299

We recently purchased a Vizio soundbar (M21d-H8) and hooked it up to our Vizio TV(E60-F3) thru the ARC..No issues until about two weeks later.  We use our fios remote to control the tv and now no matter what button we push on the remote the volume with turn up or down depending on the last way you pushed the volume button.  So..changing the channel, pausing etc will mess with the volume.  Also the tv will randomly turn on after we have turned it off... I spoke with Vizio and they were no help, told me to contact Verizon.  Anyone had an issue like this??? I have not gotten in contact with Verizon just yet.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sound Bar volume decreases with any press on cable remote
DirkDaring
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:  Vizio has come out with a firmware update for M21d-H8 soundbar (1.2.0.5) that has seemingly fixed the MUTE CEC issue that I found.  My workaround configuration seems to work fully now for me with the Fios remote.  Thanks Vizio!

View solution in original post

Sound Bar volume decreases with any press on cable remote
Skurph

I have a Vizio TV and Vizio sound bar, and we've had this current set up with out STB for probably close to 4 years. Today I noticed that when I was browsing the channel guid the volume on the sound bar kept decreasing. In fact every single button press on the cable remote takes the sounder volume down a peg. I've scoured the internet and can't find anything about this. I've unplugged the STB, and the sound bar and nothing has changed. 

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Sound Bar volume decreases with any press on cable remote
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

If this is with the new voice remote try going into the voice remote settings, restore factory settings for remote, then manually add your TV and sound bar back in. Go to Menu > Settings > Voice control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Manual Setup

1. Select your TV or Receiver or Soundbar Brand and Model and follow the steps,
  2. You will see a “Success” message in the top right of the TV screen when the setup is complete.
Re: Fios remote turning up Vizio Soundbar with any button
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ssk299 wrote:

We recently purchased a Vizio soundbar (M21d-H8) and hooked it up to our Vizio TV(E60-F3) thru the ARC..No issues until about two weeks later.  We use our fios remote to control the tv and now no matter what button we push on the remote the volume with turn up or down depending on the last way you pushed the volume button.  So..changing the channel, pausing etc will mess with the volume.  Also the tv will randomly turn on after we have turned it off... I spoke with Vizio and they were no help, told me to contact Verizon.  Anyone had an issue like this??? I have not gotten in contact with Verizon just yet.

First take the batteries out of the remote for 5 minutes and put them back in. You'll probably have to re-program the remote. Next go to settings>Audio and video>video settings and disable video input control.

ssk299

That unfortunately did not work..Thanks for trying though!!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ssk299 wrote:

That unfortunately did not work..Thanks for trying though!!

Try deleting the remote and re-pairing it to the Fios box, and re-programming it to your TV and soundbar. Are you running Fios box to TV then soundbar via ARC, or Fios to soundbar to TV?

Vizio Sound Bar Volume Support
sgleason1

Hi,

We have a Vizio Sound Bar for the TV. We have paired the remote. However, the volume changes when pressing any button. I have tried rebooting the Fios box, re-pairing the remote, re-pairing the Sound Bar, etc. Not sure where to go from here!

thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Vizio Sound Bar Volume Support
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sgleason wrote:

Hi,

We have a Vizio Sound Bar for the TV. We have paired the remote. However, the volume changes when pressing any button. I have tried rebooting the Fios box, re-pairing the remote, re-pairing the Sound Bar, etc. Not sure where to go from here!

thank you!

I'd start by taking the batteries out of the remote for 5 minutes, then erasing its programming and trying again. Sounds like it had a hiccup when programming. If you have another remote for a different box, you could try programming that one for the TV and Vizio and see if that works.

Re: Vizio Sound Bar Volume Support
MC93
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had this same issue! However, I use a Harmony remote (I had to change the setting for command repeats on the Arris box to zero), not the Fios remote. So unfortunately I can only offer you a suggestion. My suggestion would be to unpair the Fios remote from the soundbar and use the soundbar remote to change volume.

Also, do you have the soundbar in ARC or optical? If ARC, maybe switch to optical and turn off CEC on your TV. 

This is a tough issue and I’m pretty sure my Fios remote still does it. But since I don’t use it, and I fixed the Harmony, no harm done. Hope you somehow get it working!

MC93
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just replied to someone else with this same issue. I have the same soundbar as you with the same problem. I never got it fixed with my Fios remote. But since I use a Harmony remote (which also had the same issue, but I was able to fix it), no harm done. My suggestion to him/her was to unpair from the Fios remote and just use the Vizio remote to change volume. 

Also, maybe switch to optical connection and turn off CEC on your TV and then re-pair to Fios remote. I think it basically boils down to some issue with CEC, but if you turn off CEC while it’s plugged into ARC you won’t get sound. 

0 Likes