Re: Sound, but no picture.
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@bossfan55 wrote:

So, I reset the receiver (great instructions - thanks).  Still no picture.  Then I set the output to 1080i, but still no picture.  I also tried unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable between receiver and TV but no luck.  Also, the HDCP level for the receiver is 2.2.  

My goal is to have the picture on the TV and the audio from the surround sound speakers connected to the receiver.  So, when the above attempts didn't work, I went back to what I had tried before - HDMI from STB to TV (HDMI 1 input), and optical cable from TV to receiver.  I also have an HDMI from receiver to TV (HDMI 2 input) to watch my Chromecast, which is connected to the receiver through one of it's HDMI inputs.  I then programmed my Fios TV One remote to the Samsung TV for video and the Onkyo receiver for audio.  I hit the power button on the Fios remote and the TV turns on, the receiver turns on, sound comes out of the surround speakers through the receiver, the picture appears briefly, and then the TV switches to HDMi 2 so, of course, no picture.  I'm ready to pull what's left of my hair out.

Here is one thought I had - what if I run Chromecast to HDMI 2, run STB to HDMI 1, unplug HDMI cable from TV Out port on the receiver, run optical cable from TV to receiver, and program Fios TV remote to Samsung TV for video and Onkyo receiver for audio - I wonder if that will get me where I want to be?  I'll give that a shot in the morning.

As always, thanks for your help with this.

Look at the input settings or CEC settings on the TV and disable auto input switching. It is sensing the Chromecast on the receiver and switching from the Fios box to it automatically. See if you can disable it only for the receiver input on the TV, or as you said maybe try switching the inputs on the TV and see if the priority changes. I still don't know why you can't get video output from the Fios box through the receiver.....Did you try enabling pass-through on the Fios box and the receiver?

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@bossfan55 wrote:

So, I reset the receiver (great instructions - thanks).  Still no picture.  Then I set the output to 1080i, but still no picture.  I also tried unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable between receiver and TV but no luck.  Also, the HDCP level for the receiver is 2.2.  

My goal is to have the picture on the TV and the audio from the surround sound speakers connected to the receiver.  So, when the above attempts didn't work, I went back to what I had tried before - HDMI from STB to TV (HDMI 1 input), and optical cable from TV to receiver.  I also have an HDMI from receiver to TV (HDMI 2 input) to watch my Chromecast, which is connected to the receiver through one of it's HDMI inputs.  I then programmed my Fios TV One remote to the Samsung TV for video and the Onkyo receiver for audio.  I hit the power button on the Fios remote and the TV turns on, the receiver turns on, sound comes out of the surround speakers through the receiver, the picture appears briefly, and then the TV switches to HDMi 2 so, of course, no picture.  I'm ready to pull what's left of my hair out.

Here is one thought I had - what if I run Chromecast to HDMI 2, run STB to HDMI 1, unplug HDMI cable from TV Out port on the receiver, run optical cable from TV to receiver, and program Fios TV remote to Samsung TV for video and Onkyo receiver for audio - I wonder if that will get me where I want to be?  I'll give that a shot in the morning.

As always, thanks for your help with this.

Another thought, do you see the OSD from the receiver menu on your TV when you select the receiver input on the TV? If you have the TV connected to the ARC output of the receiver, and the Fios box connected to one of the HDMI inputs of the receiver do you get any picture from the Fios box? Try setting the Fios box to 1080i when it is connected directly to the TV, then move the HDMI cable from the Fios box to the receiver without turning the box off. Should see a picture if the TV is switched to the receiver input. Also check settings on the TV for Deep color or enhanced color. It should be off for a 1080 signal, on for a 2160 signal. Make sure the receiver is not upsampling to 2160 for all these tests.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I'll give them a try tomorrow.

0 Likes
bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still no luck.  I do see the OSD on the TV - just like the Chromecast when it was plugged into the receiver, everything from the receiver that is supposed to appear on the TV does except the picture from the Fios box.  I did the 1080i idea but still no picture when I reconnected.  The TV didn’t have any deep color or enhanced color settings that I could find, nor did it have CEC (which is apparently called Anynet+ on Samsung, but this model doesn’t have it).  You mentioned pass-through - I found that on the Fios box but for audio, and I didn’t see any pass through setting on the receiver. 

I think I’m about to give up.  I have it set up with the HDMI from the Fios to the TV and an optical from TV to receiver.  It’s working OK, although for some reason there’s about a 5 second lag from when I turn it on to when the sound comes through the receiver.  

The weird thing is that I had the Fios to receiver to TV setup for years and never had the sound but no picture issue until a few weeks ago when it started to happen sporadically.  Then my DVR fried so I got a new Fios box, and with this one the sound no picture problem happened from the start and I’ve never had  a picture when it’s hooked up to the receiver.

I’m pretty convinced that it’s not going to improve - I really appreciate your efforts.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@bossfan55 wrote:

Still no luck.  I do see the OSD on the TV - just like the Chromecast when it was plugged into the receiver, everything from the receiver that is supposed to appear on the TV does except the picture from the Fios box.  I did the 1080i idea but still no picture when I reconnected.  The TV didn’t have any deep color or enhanced color settings that I could find, nor did it have CEC (which is apparently called Anynet+ on Samsung, but this model doesn’t have it).  You mentioned pass-through - I found that on the Fios box but for audio, and I didn’t see any pass through setting on the receiver. 

I think I’m about to give up.  I have it set up with the HDMI from the Fios to the TV and an optical from TV to receiver.  It’s working OK, although for some reason there’s about a 5 second lag from when I turn it on to when the sound comes through the receiver.  

The weird thing is that I had the Fios to receiver to TV setup for years and never had the sound but no picture issue until a few weeks ago when it started to happen sporadically.  Then my DVR fried so I got a new Fios box, and with this one the sound no picture problem happened from the start and I’ve never had  a picture when it’s hooked up to the receiver.

I’m pretty convinced that it’s not going to improve - I really appreciate your efforts.

I don't know why this is such a problem. Try one more thing. With the Fios box still plugged into the TV, In the Fios box, look at: Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings, First check Video format and set it to 1080i 16x9, not 1080P. Next look at TV input control and set it to disable. TV Type should say 16x9. HDR setting should be Disabled. After all that, plug the HDMI from the Fios box back into the Receiver and see what happens. Try a different input on the receiver if you get nothing. After that, I've got to do a lot more thinking if it doesn't work.

The only other thing would be to go into the Fios boxes service menu and check the settings there. Sometimes they can override the settings in the user menus. So again plug the box into the TV first. To get there turn off the box with the button on the top of the box, then quickly press OK 2X on the remote. You should see a B&W page of status readings. Press the left arrow on the circular pad on the remote once, you should see 4 menu choices. Scroll to user, press ok on the remote. Now you should see some settings from the box. Ignore the details for the test procedure and look at TV Type and HDMI/YPBPr. They should be 16x9 and 1080i at this point. If not set them to the proper values, then scroll to additional HDMI Settings. HDMI/DVI mode should be HDMI. Color Space should be YCbCr 4:2:2. Everything else should look like the graphic. Press ok on the remote, then power off on the remote. Plug it back into the receiver and see if you now have a picture.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks again - I'll give it a try shortly.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did every step but still nothing. The only difference from your instructions was that color space said YCbCr 4:4:4 rather than 4:2:2. But, everything showed as 1080i. One thing I noticed since I was standing next to the tv - when I changed the connection to the tv from the fios box to the receiver (which was then connected to the fios box) the screen initially was pitch black but once the sound came on the screen was still blank but not pitch black -  close to black but with a slightly greenish tint. Not sure if that makes sense but it’s the best I can describe it. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@bossfan55 wrote:

Did every step but still nothing. The only difference from your instructions was that color space said YCbCr 4:4:4 rather than 4:2:2. But, everything showed as 1080i. One thing I noticed since I was standing next to the tv - when I changed the connection to the tv from the fios box to the receiver (which was then connected to the fios box) the screen initially was pitch black but once the sound came on the screen was still blank but not pitch black -  close to black but with a slightly greenish tint. Not sure if that makes sense but it’s the best I can describe it. 

Looking at the Onkyo manual, this could also be an issue:

Choose the ‘4k60p Setting’ setting you want.
If the TV to be connected using HDMI supports 4K/60p,
you can switch the 4k60p setting in accordance with TV
performance.
1. Select an input terminal that you wish to change
settings using / ̈.
2. Use ©/ª to select ‘4k60p’.
3. Use / ̈ to select the signal to set.
4:4:4 – Select this setting when connecting to a 4K/
60p 4:4:4 24 bit compatible TV using HDMI. More high
quality video images can be enjoyed.
-When the HDMI cable does not support 4K/60p
4:4:4 24 bit (18 Gbps transmission), video image
may not be output properly.
In that case, select 4:2:0 to watch a 4K/60p 4:2:0 24
bit video image.
4:2:0 – Select this setting when connecting to a 4K/
60p 4:2:0 24 bit compatible TV using HDMI.
4. Press .
If certain source devices that do not support 4K/60p
4:4:4 24 bit are used and the HDMI terminal is set to
4:4:4, video output from the source device may turn red,no audio may be output by the source device, or a 3D
signal may not be output by some of the devices. In
these cases, set the HDMI terminal to 4:2:0.
5When you’re finished, press .
You return to the Setup.
Could be the video settings in the receiver. Make sure the input on the receiver is set to 4K 60P 4:4:4, then try setting the Fios box to 2160P in the user menu on the Fios box, move HDMI from TV to receiver and try again, using the new settings in the receiver. Also try unplugging power for the receiver for 3 minutes, then re-plugging it to see if that helps.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did all of the changes except changing the Fios output to 2160 - it didn’t let me do that. Still no picture. Then, I pulled the power for three minutes. Amazingly, the picture was there! I then turned it off and back on and, unfortunately, back to no picture. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

So it sounds like there is something going on with the receiver. Something is not good with its handshake with the Fios box, causing the no picture problem. Odd that going into a 4K TV the Fios box wouldn't let you choose 2160P. Are all your cables High-Speed Certified?