Re: Sound, but no picture.
bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great question - I suspect not, but don’t know. Think that could make a difference? It’s odd that it was never an issue until fairly recently. The Fios box message about the 2160 said that the tv didn’t support it (and the tv is 1080p). If I were to buy a high speed certified cable should I get two - one from Fios to receiver and one from receiver to tv to replace what I currently have?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bossfan55 wrote:

Great question - I suspect not, but don’t know. Think that could make a difference? It’s odd that it was never an issue until fairly recently. The Fios box message about the 2160 said that the tv didn’t support it (and the tv is 1080p). If I were to buy a high speed certified cable should I get two - one from Fios to receiver and one from receiver to tv to replace what I currently have?

Ah, didn't know your TV doesn't support 2160 (4K)! No, don't bother with new cables. The Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings> Video Format on the  Fios box has to be set to 1080i, and the output of the Receiver has to be set to 1080i, and the input on the receiver you are using for the Fios box has to be set to 1080i. All this time I assumed you had a 4K TV! The Fios box may be seeing the input of the receiver as 4K capable and is using that resolution when connected. Your TV can't use a 4K signal so no picture.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, one of these days I'll get a 4K TV, but not yet.  The Fios is definitely set to 1080i, and I'll confirm that the receiver input and output are as well.  Still don't understand why the same setup worked fine for years and this problem started only recently, but has persisted through two different Fios boxes.  Because of that, I'm not optimistic that there's anything different about the receiver input and output, but I'll check.  In any event, thanks for all of your help- it's above and beyond the call of duty!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bossfan55 wrote:

Yeah, one of these days I'll get a 4K TV, but not yet.  The Fios is definitely set to 1080i, and I'll confirm that the receiver input and output are as well.  Still don't understand why the same setup worked fine for years and this problem started only recently, but has persisted through two different Fios boxes.  Because of that, I'm not optimistic that there's anything different about the receiver input and output, but I'll check.  In any event, thanks for all of your help- it's above and beyond the call of duty!

I'd bet there was a firmware update for your receiver that happened in the background. Also what version of firmware is the Fios box on? That is the main reason for things that work, suddenly getting broken for seemingly no reason. Either that or a hardware failure.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3
  • That makes perfect sense. The firmware version is KA31.00.06.13alder.c2014638. It’s release apr-6.10 and build number 30.12. 
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bossfan55 wrote:
  • That makes perfect sense. The firmware version is KA31.00.06.13alder.c2014638. It’s release apr-6.10 and build number 30.12. 

If that's the firmware on the Fios box it's WAY behind. The current firmware is APR 7.10. You need to get in touch with Tech Support and have them push the update to your Fios box.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow - that’s good to know. I’ll do that. I also checked the input and output on the receiver but it didn’t have an option to set either to 1080. I’ll get with tech support tomorrow. Thanks once again. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bossfan55 wrote:

Wow - that’s good to know. I’ll do that. I also checked the input and output on the receiver but it didn’t have an option to set either to 1080. I’ll get with tech support tomorrow. Thanks once again. 

I think the input set option in the Onkyo is here:

Choose the ‘4k60p Setting’ setting you want.
If the TV to be connected using HDMI supports 4K/60p,
you can switch the 4k60p setting in accordance with TV
performance.
1. Select an input terminal that you wish to change
settings using / ̈.
2. Use ©/ª to select ‘4k60p’.
3. Use / ̈ to select the signal to set.
The idea is to NOT choose 4K in the second step, instead see if 1080i is an option.

bossfan55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately it’s not an option. The only options are 4:4:4 and 4:2:2. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bossfan55 wrote:

Unfortunately it’s not an option. The only options are 4:4:4 and 4:2:2. 

Ok, been through the entire owners manual for your receiver and the only other thing I can see is changing the receiver input to 4:2:2. Other than that, there are several references to "some HDMI sources may not work with this receiver". So I hate to give up, but you may have found one of those devices. I'd still get support to push the APR 7.10 update to you. You never know, it might resolve the issue.