Split HDMI Output to 2 HD TVs
mattdercole

I am trying to split the HDMI output from my Motorola 6416 HD DVR to 2 HDTVs using RocketFish Two-Way HDMI spillter.  The splitter is HDCP compliant.  However, when attempting send the signal to both TVs the apparently the handshake gets messed up resulting in DU1 error on the box.  After resetting the box I can watch one TV at a time.

Has anyone had success splitting HDMI to 2 TVs?  If so, what splitter did you use?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Likes
Re: Split HDMI Output to 2 HD TVs
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Are you sure it is HDCP compliant? I've looked at several and cannot find anything stating that it is. Even the rocketfish website does not mention it.

Also is there anything other than the splitter between the STB and TV. Currently the STB is limited to 3 devices. So STB, splitter, TV would be fine. But STB, splitter, 3D converter (for example), TV would not work.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

DUH!!

I just re-read your post. You have 2 HD tv's. Both would try to communicate with the STB. its more than just the HDCP, the handshake also has to help with setting resolution, Two TV, sending different info my be confusing it. You may want to just hook one up HDMI and one Component.

0 Likes
mattdercole

Space, Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried connection one TV using HDMI and the other using Component.  Still cannot get it to work.  Turn on the TV connected via Component and it works fine.  Then turned on TV with HDMI component.  The result is I get no signal on that TV, the VZ box flashes the dU1 error, and the TV with Component connection flashes on and off.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but I am beginning to think it is not possible to have 2 TVs displaying the same channel coming from one box.

Matt

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@mattdercole wrote:

Space, Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried connection one TV using HDMI and the other using Component.  Still cannot get it to work.  Turn on the TV connected via Component and it works fine.  Then turned on TV with HDMI component.  The result is I get no signal on that TV, the VZ box flashes the dU1 error, and the TV with Component connection flashes on and off.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but I am beginning to think it is not possible to have 2 TVs displaying the same channel coming from one box.

Matt

It ceratinly is possible.  All the video outputs should be active on the STB at the same time (HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite, and RF).  I have multiple outputs connected (and have for some time) with HDMI to my main TV and the component output is still active.

Component is totally analog and has nothing to do with the HDCP handshake (the DVI error).  There must be some other issue in your connection to the HDMI causing your problem.

0 Likes
MrKal_El
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is that splitter powered by any chance? Becuase I use this  from Monoprice with the same setup and it work perfectly. There are a few others in the same cat. and they all work well.

mattdercole

MrKal,  yes the HDMI splitter is powered.

But I think I know the problem.  One of the TVs supports 1080i and the other is 1080p.  Correct me if I am wrong, but i do not think the HDMI splitter can handle that.  😞

But going back to connecting one TV via components and one to HDMI.  I'm still get the DVI error.  Is it because the box can only handle either 1080i or 1080p at one time?  I have the 1080i (Vizio) connected via components and the 1080p (JVC) connected via HDMI.  I had it working for about 5 minutes this AM.  Then turned off the JVC and when I turned it back on same problem came back:  blank screen with no input detected, the Vizio flickering, and the box reporting DVI error.

Thanks again for all the help.  Do you still think I can get both TVs connected to one box with one being 1080i and the other being 1080p?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well that shouldnt be an issue. Verizon only broadcasts in 1080i to begin with so that is the max output. Both tv's will get the max of 1080i.

What happens when you connect only the HDMI TV and leave the other TV disconnected? Do you get the DVI error then? What happens if you reverse it and connect the Vizio with HDMI and the JVC with Component? (you wont loose any signal resolution this way, both types of cable will handle the 1080i that the Verizon is capable of)

It may be that the JVC and the STB are not totally compatible with HDMI. There used to be an issue with some TV's and the HDMI. For the most part that has all been corrected but there are still the occasional issues showing up.

0 Likes
danb4026

I just bought a Manhattan HDMI Splitter (just a cable that splits, not powered) and hooked my STB up to 2 HDTV's with HDMI inputs in my bedroom.  I am getting an message on both of my TV's saying "You display is not authorized to receive high value HD content over the digital link, please use your YPbP** connections".

What seems to be the problem splitting the HDMI output?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most cable based splitters are not HDCP compliant meaning they don't preserve and honor the copyright protections that can be embedded (and required to be honored by Vz) in HD content to prevent illegal digital copies from being made.   

0 Likes