Re: Split HDMI Output to 2 HD TVs
danb4026
Thanks for the reply. What would you suggest I use in place of the cable. The "switchers" that i saw seem to be used for the opposite - multiple devices to one TV.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@danb4026 wrote:

I just bought a Manhattan HDMI Splitter (just a cable that splits, not powered) and hooked my STB up to 2 HDTV's with HDMI inputs in my bedroom.  I am getting an message on both of my TV's saying "You display is not authorized to receive high value HD content over the digital link, please use your YPbP** connections".

What seems to be the problem splitting the HDMI output?

The problem is most likely that both TVs are trying to respond to the HDCP handshake and that is causing the box to see this as an invalid device for HD content.  Thank the MPAA, RIAA and others for their interference in your viewing to "protect" their content.

An alternative is to hook up one TV HDMI and use composite (3 wire video red, green, blue - capable of delivering 1080i resolution which is the maximum delivered) for the 2nd TV (assuming that at least one of the sets has composite in.  You will also need to use the analog audio (red / white) connections for a total of 5 wires.

0 Likes
mattdercole

Spacedebris,  I believe you are correct about the JVC and the STB not compatible with HDMI.  The JVC works just fine with the Components.  But when connecting via HDMI the STB reports the DVI error.  So, i have gotten it to where both TVs can be connected to the STB and display the same channel by connecting the JVC via Components and Vizio via HDMI.  Although a solution has been obtained, it would have been much simpler to have the JVC connected via HDMI and not components.

Thanks for all the imput.

Matt

0 Likes
danb4026
Unfortunately I built this house with all HDMI wall outlets. In order to run a component cable I would have to have a long run across the room. Is there no splitter that can
Bypass this problem?
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@danb4026 wrote:
Unfortunately I built this house with all HDMI wall outlets. In order to run a component cable I would have to have a long run across the room. Is there no splitter that can
Bypass this problem?

Dan, the splitter in the OP will work fine. It turned out that one of his TV's was just not compatible. You just have to find a splitter that is HDCP compliant. The non powered splitters are generally not compliant.

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

All-

My gear....

• STB = QIP7232p2
  • AVR = SAMSUNG HW-C900  (unfortunately doesn't pass thru hdmi when its off)
  • TV = SAMSUNG LN47A750 Series 7

I'm trying to setup my new AVR, but I'd like to keep the STB<>TV connection simple for my wife.   ...when I watch, I'd turn on the AVR, TV and STB.

I've tried pulling audio off the TV with optical, but it only provides stereo.   If I go into the OFF-OK-MENU and force audio to PassThrough, then I get native 5.1, but I get a 10second delay anytime I change channels, ffwd, rewind, etc.   This audio delay is true for TV speakers and the AVR fed from the optical.  ...and its quite annoying.

I was trying to use Component from the STB to the TV, and HDMI from the STB to AVR, and AVR to TV via HDMI.

STB ----component------>TV

^===hdmi==>AVR<========^

This worked fine until I changed between HDMI/Component.  I got the blue/white screen talking about licensed for value hd content   ...I actually had to go into the OFF-OK-MENU backed menu to get HDMI working again.

I was thinking about splitting the HDMI, but then saw issues above.   I wonder what if I split the Component for Video right at the STB, and feeding the TV and AVR.   Then use RCA to feed the audio to the TV and Optical to feed the AVR.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes