Split HDMI signal from VZ Motorola 7200?
phil02062

Hi folks!

Is it possible to run a "Y" HDMI cable or some sort of splitter set up from the Motorola 7200 hd dvr to connect to two HD output devices (two hd tvs)?  I've been doing some research about this and the info available online doesn't seem to answer my question.  Basically, the hd dvr has one hdmi out and I want to "split" the signal so I can have HD on two tvs from one box.  Whether or not the two tvs have to be on the same channel or anything else like that doesn't matter; I just want to know if this is possible.  Thanks very much!  This is a very informative forum! 

0 Likes
Re: Split HDMI signal from VZ Motorola 7200?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@phil02062 wrote:

Hi folks!

Is it possible to run a "Y" HDMI cable or some sort of splitter set up from the Motorola 7200 hd dvr to connect to two HD output devices (two hd tvs)?  I've been doing some research about this and the info available online doesn't seem to answer my question.  Basically, the hd dvr has one hdmi out and I want to "split" the signal so I can have HD on two tvs from one box.  Whether or not the two tvs have to be on the same channel or anything else like that doesn't matter; I just want to know if this is possible.  Thanks very much!  This is a very informative forum! 

I would suggest that due to the HDCP handshake from the 7200 that a splitter that supports HDCP be used.  This would be an active splitter and not inexpensive (probably around $150) - passive splitter would get responses from both display devices and possibly cause issues.  Never actually tried that myself as I only have 1 HDMI display device.

Would it be possible to use component (3 wire video + 2 wire audio)?  All outputs on the STB are active at the same time.  Component cables would be a lot cheaper than an active splitter and would still deliver full HD at 1080i.

0 Likes
Re: Split HDMI signal from VZ Motorola 7200?
phil02062
Thanks for the response!  Actually, the secondary display is an lcd monitor with an hdmi input, so there's no component input. 
0 Likes