Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Splitting Fios signal and using a repeater

njseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Splitting Fios signal and using a repeater

Message 1 of 3
(9,706 Views)

I have FIOS and just purchased a flat screen for my office, which I want to hang on the wall.  Issue - Set Box  and where to place it.  I understand I can move the box to a another space and use a repeater to transmit the signal from the box to the TV.  I want to place the box on a shelf under my desk about 5 ft from the tv and out of the way.  Questions:

1.  Rather than run a new FIOS cable to where I want the Box under the desk, can I simply "split" the FIOS sifnal coming in for my internet and run a cable to the box?

2.  Any experience in using the Radio Shack repeaters?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
VZ_Kevin
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Re: Splitting Fios signal and using a repeater

Message 2 of 3
(9,597 Views)

1. Yes that's fine. Just make sure you use a bidirectional splitter, at least 1-1000GHz rating. Keep in mind this could cause some RF attenuation.

2. No, sorry Smiley Sad

Kevin
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Splitting Fios signal and using a repeater

Message 3 of 3
(9,584 Views)

@njseeker wrote:

I have FIOS and just purchased a flat screen for my office, which I want to hang on the wall.  Issue - Set Box  and where to place it.  I understand I can move the box to a another space and use a repeater to transmit the signal from the box to the TV.  I want to place the box on a shelf under my desk about 5 ft from the tv and out of the way.  Questions:

1.  Rather than run a new FIOS cable to where I want the Box under the desk, can I simply "split" the FIOS sifnal coming in for my internet and run a cable to the box?

2.  Any experience in using the Radio Shack repeaters?

Thanks

1. Should work fine. Radio Shack bidirectional splitters work fine here.

2. I could not recommend any type of repeater or amplfier on the coax, because it would not be bidirectional and support the IP frequencies of the STB. Assuming you mean on the COAX.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title