Re: Stay away from Quantum TV
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You always have to have at least one spliitter (to connect router and STB.

Start at ONT (box outside on the wall).

COAX will go from it into the house. At some point it should hit a splitter.
There may be more depending on how many tvs/stbs you havend how many ports on your splitter.

0 Likes
drknlsn

I had the same problem (freezing and skipping video and audio on two client boxes, but no problems on the VMS) and had techs come to the house twice before it was fixed.

The first time the techs changed the client boxes and checked the splitters. They tested the new clients for about 10 minutes and they seemed to be working fine, so they left. About 30 minutes after they left, the freezing and skipping problems came back.

The second time the tech visited, they changed the client boxes again. The also changed the splitters and put caps on the exposed outlets on the back of the client boxes. Then they got in the attic and check all the barrel connections and cabling, as well as the Verizon box on the outside of the house. Tested the video on the client boxes and VMS for about 30 minutes and all seemed to be working fine. Tech left and was sitting in his truck getting ready for his next appointment, while I noticed the issues had started again on the client boxes.

I went outside and told him the issues came back and he called his office to let them know. His manager told him to replace the VMS. He responded saying that the VMS wasn't having any of the issues, but the manager said that they had found that bad VMS boxes to be the cause of video freezing and skipping on client boxes connected to them.

So, the tech changed the VMS and all boxes have been working without video issues for the last couple of months.

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

@nodigits wrote:
Where are the splitters found? at the initial incoming box, or on each TV/STB? If on the TV/STB, what if you have no splitters, just a straight in coax connection?

That's something we didn't try. We had our VZ service upgraded (sic) Jun 5th and all our troubles began. The tech came out to the house to install 2 servers and 3 clients. (Quantum TV premium service)  After the first server was installed in the master bedroom, then the 3 clients. we then installed the other server in the living room and things started to go bad. first the server would go into a reboot cycle without it ever starting.  the tech checked the moca cable, it was a bit out of specs so he replaced it. the tech tried to bring up the server in the living room again and still it wouldn't start up so he replaced it with another server. tried to start it and it stil failed. same thing issue, that new server would go into a reboot cycle without ever starting up. so we changed the ports the moca cable connected to the splitter downstairs near the modem. the splitter  was installed when we had VZ FIOS DVR service installed seven years ago. still the problem remained. the tech was on the phone with his maintenance center for more than 4 hours. what should have been a simple swap out of 5 DVR HD boxes turned into one of the biggest cluster bombs I could have ever made since getting FIOS service.

finally tried and swapped the hdmi cable that was on the old DVR box that we switched to the new server. the server stopped rebooting and started up. the tech suspect the hdmi but it was the same one we originally used with the original DVR box before we did what installation. Anyway, the 2 servers were now up and running. okay so Quantum TV was running but not as advertised by VZ customer service or the commercials running on the TV.

1 you can't use FIOS digital voice menu with Quantum tv. caller id works but unable to access digital voice menu via the TV or change any features that digital voice have. you have to change the settings via the internet (stinks)

2 you can't pause live tv and view it anywhere in the house unless you're connected to that server that you paused the live stream. (contradicts what VZ is selling - I have the premium service with has 2 servers (6 channels each) great but can't pause bedroom 2 and go to basement and watch the tv there unless both bedroom 2 and basement are connected to same server. No where in VZ ad states this. neither do the servers work with the pause TV feature. (bedroom server 1 and server 2 in living room can't work that feature together. no mention in the ads : (

So going back to the originator's post about splitters might need to be swapped, my tech wasn't aware that anything like that could have giving us some unforeseen issue during the installation.

anyone else have a bad install

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Telcoguru wrote:

The server works using RF signal which is the same way the old boxes worked. The clients work using MOCA 2.0. It is recommended that the splitters be rated for 1675 mhz. The old splitters that Verizon used where yellow and said PDI on them. The new splitters say Verizon on them.

Telcoguru,

Called VZ and asked them about changing out the old splitter originally installed with the Home DVR 7 years ago to a newer one rated for Quantum TV service. The rep didn't hear anything about changing out the splitters. I also mentioned to the rep about the forum post and she scheduled a tech to come out tomorrow 8/12. We'll see if this solves our main problem and that is access, no IP or DNS sometimes devices simply don't route or connect to the internet.

Our setup is the Quantum TV Premium (2-VMS 1100 servers and 3 IPC clients). 150/150 speed with Actiontec rev I router.

more wireless devices, playstations , ROKU's and smart TVs  connecting to the LAN.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. To be continued....

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My digital voice works fine with Quantum TV.

I go to menu- Fios Digital Voice.

I can view calls, and change options.

How are you trying and what are you getting?

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

My digital voice works fine with Quantum TV.

I go to menu- Fios Digital Voice.

I can view calls, and change options.

How are you trying and what are you getting?

Okay,
The Fios Digitial Voice menu features didn't work on Quantum service when it was installed June 5th. We could bring up the menu but couldn't change any features. VZ must have done an update to resolve the problem. (VMS 1100 shows build of 1.0b. initial build was 1.0 )

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

@harley8004 wrote:

@nodigits wrote:
Where are the splitters found? at the initial incoming box, or on each TV/STB? If on the TV/STB, what if you have no splitters, just a straight in coax connection?

That's something we didn't try. We had our VZ service upgraded (sic) Jun 5th and all our troubles began. The tech came out to the house to install 2 servers and 3 clients. (Quantum TV premium service)  After the first server was installed in the master bedroom, then the 3 clients. we then installed the other server in the living room and things started to go bad. first the server would go into a reboot cycle without it ever starting.  the tech checked the moca cable, it was a bit out of specs so he replaced it. the tech tried to bring up the server in the living room again and still it wouldn't start up so he replaced it with another server. tried to start it and it stil failed. same thing issue, that new server would go into a reboot cycle without ever starting up. so we changed the ports, the moca cable connected to the splitter downstairs near the modem. the splitter  was installed when we had VZ FIOS DVR service installed seven years ago. still the problem remained. the tech was on the phone with his maintenance center for more than 4 hours. what should have been a simple swap out of 5 DVR HD boxes turned into one of the biggest cluster bombs I could have ever made since getting FIOS service.

finally we tried and swapped the hdmi cable that was on the old DVR box that we switched out to the new VMS1100  server. the server stopped rebooting and started up. the tech didn't suspect the hdmi  becaue it was the same one we originally used with the old DVR box before we did the installation. Anyway, the 2 servers and 3 clients were now up and running. okay so Quantum TV was running but not as advertised by VZ customer service or the commercials running on the TV.

1 you can't use FIOS digital voice menu with Quantum tv. caller id works but unable to access digital voice menu via the TV or change any features that digital voice have. you have to change the settings via the internet (stinks)

2 you can't pause live tv and view it anywhere in the house unless you're connected to that server that you paused the live stream. (contradicts what VZ is selling - I have the premium service with has 2 servers (6 channels each) great but can't pause bedroom 2 and go to basement and watch the tv there unless both bedroom 2 and basement are connected to same server. No where in VZ ad states this. neither do the servers work with the pause TV feature. (bedroom server 1 and server 2 in living room can't work that feature together. no mention in the ads : (

So going back to the originator's post about splitters might need to be swapped, my tech wasn't aware that anything like that could have giving us some unforeseen issue during the installation.

anyone else have a bad install

Okay- -the FIOS Digital Voice issue apparently was fixed when VZ sent an update to our VMS. We're now running build 1.0b. the initial install had us on build 1.0.

now al we need to be able to watch the paused live TV anywhere in the house to include either VMS 1100 whether you're connected to it or not.

0 Likes