Stretch issue in 1.7
Guitarguyy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I was one of the lucky 7000 series box owners who came to find that after the 1.7 image loaded, all of the guide data is now automatically STRETCHED to 16:9 even though it is in 4:3 format.

The implication is that all of my guide data (info popups, browsing the guide, setup, DVR menus, etc.) is now in the wrong aspect ratio for my TV. Everything displays stretched out. In the previous release, this was all displayed correctly, though in 4:3 format. Now, it is displayed stretched out in 16:9. The video window in the menus also distorts when using the guide.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a major bug in that there is no way to revert the behavior to how it was. I am very unhappy with the new behavior and this has turned out to be (so far) the only thing to tarnish a wonderful FIOS experience.While I would love a new, true 16:9 guide... I would very much like the original (correct) behavior over this stretchng behavior.

Hopefully the issue will be resolved as soon as possible. I hate to have created an awesome HD setup only to be foiled by an update that throws my guide content out of aspect ratio.

Is there a workaround for this issue? Any word on a fix coming?

Thanks,

-Guitarguyy

0 Likes
Re: Stretch issue in 1.7
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

From everything I have heard this is very intentional by Verizon and is (supposedly) in preparation for a true 16:9 guide (at least that is the rumor).  Unfortunately, there is no way to revert that I am aware of Smiley Sad and no idea as to when a new release would have a proper aspect ratio guide - this update took way longer than was expected and hasn't even been fully rolled out.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Guitarguyy,

You are not the first person I have seen complain about this new "feature" Smiley Very Happy Unfortunately it does appear to be intentional, in preparation for a true 16:9 Guide to come some time in the future. I have a QIP6416 DVR and it does not show the stretched Guide, etc, I don't know whether to be happy that I don't see it or unhappy that apparently I will never see the true 16:9 Guide on my box.

Two suggestions, do either or even better both:

1) Call the FSC and complain (1-888-553-1555). If you are one of the many who hate to call, you can frequently get through the electronic maze faster by saying "agent" at every opportunity (usually only a couple) until it asks you if you want to speak to an agent, then say "yes" and you should be good to talk to an actual live person pretty quickly.

2) Go to dslreports.com and post your complaint in the Verizon Direct forum at that site. If you are not already a member there you will need to register before you can post. Registration is free. The Verizon Direct forum is staffed by Verizon employees, and only they and you can see your posts and theirs. 

My view is the more complaints they see on any issue means it is at least somewhat more likely Verizon will take action to correct the problem. Just posting here unfortunately doesn't seem to do the job, most posts here apparently never make it into the formal Verizon problem management system (I am assuming they have one, sometimes you really wonder though.....)

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Guitarguyy
Enthusiast - Level 1

The argument that this change was in preparation for a full 16:9 guide doesn't make sense to me. It seems as if they should have been able to make this transition swtich after supporting a 16:9 guide.

Stretching the existing image is a major regression to me. The picture has gone from fully accurate in the intended aspect ratio, to a skewed aspect ratio that cannot be corrected. I realize that some users would like the new stretching behavior (though I don't understand how they could)... but why didn't Verizon at least give us a toggle button to disable the stretching behavior? I'm super disappointed with this update and with FIOS as a whole because of this minor **bleep** issue. 🙂

0 Likes
michelliot
Enthusiast - Level 2

If it was only the guide I could ALMOST live with it.  I'm noticing that a few of the HD channels as well ,have been stretched i.e. the Speed, History, maybe Nat Geo  et al.  Loss of picture quality and enjoyment of viewing.  Shame.  I'm sure there's no overnight plans to remedy this either.  Again we have no choice.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good luck to all of us

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Guitarguyy wrote:

The argument that this change was in preparation for a full 16:9 guide doesn't make sense to me. It seems as if they should have been able to make this transition swtich after supporting a 16:9 guide.

Stretching the existing image is a major regression to me. The picture has gone from fully accurate in the intended aspect ratio, to a skewed aspect ratio that cannot be corrected. I realize that some users would like the new stretching behavior (though I don't understand how they could)... but why didn't Verizon at least give us a toggle button to disable the stretching behavior? I'm super disappointed with this update and with FIOS as a whole because of this minor **bleep** issue. 🙂

The "arguement" that this is in preparation for a full 16:9 Guide is not one I am making, it is one I have seen posted (mostly on other forums) by people that appear to have contacts within Verizon and actual Verizon employees. But I do agree with you, I see no real value to stretching the existing Guide, seems they could just deliver the true 16:9 Guide when it is ready.

I am not sure I understand your issue with stretching the image in the Guide. Do you really watch that image while you are in the Guide? Of course I can't see what you are seeing, but I surely don't, I look at the Guide to see what I want to view, and I pretty much never, ever look at the little image.

I guess I am not surprised there is no toggle, although with what they are now delivering it would probably be nice. But once they have a full 16:9 Guide option there will not be any need for a toggle it seems to me, so putting one in would be extra development work that would be wasted. Just my opinion of course.....

Anyway, I hope you do report your issue with this implementation, if you and others do, maybe, just maybe, Verizon will do something about it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@michelliot wrote:

If it was only the guide I could ALMOST live with it.  I'm noticing that a few of the HD channels as well ,have been stretched i.e. the Speed, History, maybe Nat Geo  et al.  Loss of picture quality and enjoyment of viewing.  Shame.  I'm sure there's no overnight plans to remedy this either.  Again we have no choice.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good luck to all of us

Are you saying the actual content of some HD channels are now stretched when before the new 1.7 level they weren't? If that is the case, that is really, really bad. I can't see it because I don't have a 7xxx box.

Some of the HD channels have always stretched some stuff when it is 4:3 content they are showing, I hate that and pretty much never watch any of those programs, but it is a very big surprise to me that the new IMG would actually do that to a channel's content. Can you give us some specific examples of specific programs on specific channels?

And yes, I would bet there are no plans to back away from this, probably the only hope is that enough people complain through the official channels.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Guitarguyy
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not just that this image in the guide (video preview) is out of aspect, but the entire guide itself (menus etc.) are also stretched out of aspect. The text descriptions and menu options, info pane, etc. are all "squished", in that they are in 4:3 format stretched to 16:9. Super annoying, and I don't understand why this change was made without at least providing an option to revert it.

I spent quite a while trying various options and setups on the box, but didn't have a good solution. Disabling the in guide preview makes the menu experience a bit more tolerable, but the guide itself is just a mess compared to the previous behavior. It just looks ugly and unprofessional.

I'm sure that users with 4:3 TV's should see no difference. This affects those of us with 16:9 TV's at HD resolutions.

0 Likes
psumatt1
Contributor - Level 2

GuitarGuy-

I just received the soft-rollout of 1.7 this morning out of VHO8. I totally agree with you. The menus, guide, info, etc. all look really cheap now and "soft".

This stretching is terrible. I can't believe VZ would allow this out of the lab.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

Everyone needs to ensure that the STB is set up for 16x9 (not 4.3) with the proper resolution, that the SD override is off (which works best for some), and that the picture is not zoomed (aspect button on the remote) .  When my box received the update, these setting were all hosed.  When I reset them properly, everything was as before -- perfect HD.

0 Likes