Re: Stretch issue in 1.7
Guitarguyy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yup, all set up correctly. Still have the issues. Do you have a 6000 series box? For some reason, these weren't affected, but the 7000's were.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, I talked to my friend that works for Verizon and he contacted the engineers back when 1.7 was first released in CA and TX  a couple of months ago. The engineer said that it was done intentionally. They knew that it would not be received well by the customers but that it was necessary in preparation for the new HD guide that will be out with the next release. Now he didnt go into detail as to why it was needed and it makes no sense as far as I can see, but it does make sense to someone even if they are not telling us why.

0 Likes
Guitarguyy
Enthusiast - Level 1

It sounds like someone took a shortcut with this new behavior (either through carelessness, laziness, or plain lack of time to make the required changes). As a customer, I'm very disappointed with the ultimate outcome - a release with sub-par behavior that's regressed from the previous release. I'm actually very surprised that this build was released with such a major regression.

Fingers crossed for a new 16:9 guide in the short term... or a patch that lets me revert this behavior  🙂

0 Likes
mike613

I also think that the new guide looks horrendous.  Someone here mentioned stretching of regular channels as well.  I was watching ABC last night and noticed that the picture looked stretched and fuzzy. Did anyone else notice this?  Do I need to clean my glasses?

0 Likes
psumatt1
Contributor - Level 2

Mike,

I'd say you need to clean your glasses.  🙂

HD channels look fine - but as i've posted, i'm with you all on the stretched guide.

I was told it would be gone with 1.7.1

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

Am I the only one that cringes when I hear "it will be fixed in the next release"? How many months has it taken to get this far on the 1.7 release? And how many more months before every customer has the 1.7 release? Is it even feasible to believe that VZ will rollout a new release after 1.7 before 2011? I am suffering from a serious case of buyers remorse!!!

0 Likes
Luckbad

I was hoping this was unintentional. It's not just the guide that is stretched; the subtitles are stretched as well. I use subtitles, and this change has made it difficult to watch programming for me. I hope this is resolved soon so I don't have to switch services due to subtitle issues.

0 Likes
danspeca
Enthusiast - Level 1

All,

I phone Verizon tech support about this on 12/4 - I even provided the tech support person with the url of this thread - she logged it as an open item...the next day, my info box was no longer stretched (it appeared as a 16:9/wide version however, even on the SD channels)...

And I got a phone call today - a follow-up, asking me if they had solved my problem...I told them partially...was also told by the caller that one possible solution was to press the pound key once or multiple times - this apparently resets some width settings...am out of town, so can't try this fix until next week...worth a shot...

dan

0 Likes
Guitarguyy
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's awesome that you had a open item logged! Hopefully it doesn't just get closed "no action".

The pound key is just the aspect ratio and zoom control for the box. That they asked you to try this confirms that they don't understand the problem, which is unfortunate. The problem is with the aspect ratio of the content itself being displayed. Using zoom, you can make the picture look "correct", but only for certain content.

I miss the old guide! I hope this gets fixed soon. It stinks that this problem also affects subtitles as well.

0 Likes
msnead53
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also a victim of the stretched guide.  It looks terrible.  Readnig text that is stretched is painful to the eyes.  I'm going to try calling when I get home today as well.

0 Likes