Re: Stretch issue in 1.7
Mayimbe007
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also experiencing this issue!  I thought it was just my box acting up.  So I tried resetting the box to no avail.  I don't think wasting 15 minutes on the phone with Verizon is worth it.  Hopefully they will have a fix for this...

0 Likes
Re: Stretch issue in 1.7 - HDMI Handshake Resolved
Fitzy128

I also have the "super stretched" guide issue but I am afraid to complain. 

It could be part of or related to the 1.7 IMG upgrade I received on 12/1/09 but every since the stretched version of the guide appeared, I have had no HDMI handshake issues.  The HDMI handshake issue caused my picture to go black several times an hour......switching from HDMI to component video cables did not correct it.   Was a source of tremendous aggravation....in fact I got so ticked off,  I started returning / exchanging my 7100 Series DVR boxes at the Verizon store every 2 weeks...thought they would enjoy sharing some of the pain.

The loss of video or HDMI handshake frequently seemed to be associated with switching in and out of the program guide or using the On Demand menu.  You could see the picture scramble, then go black, then the guide and / or On Demand menu would appear, then the video blackouts would start to occur.  That problem completely stopped with the new stretched guide!

Perhaps I am oversimplifying and some other fix was put in during the new 1.7 IMG download, but I am enjoying my FIOS HD experience again.   Just hoping I didn't jinx myself!

0 Likes
Guitarguyy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This explanation I could almost understand. Maybe the repetitive changing of aspect ratios resulted in the HDMI handshake issue (which I also experienced, but it disappeared for me a mth or so before the 1.7 update... so I'm not sure what fixed it).It would explain this "quick and dirty" fix to get the issue resolved, at the expense of an UGLY guide. All just speculation, but I'd buy it.

I'm sure there had to be some sort of trade off like this occuring, since I can't imagine that the stretch change would be made lightly without someone raising a red flag. Still sucks though, and I hope we get a fix soon! 

I was in the FIOS section of a local furniture store the other day and noticed that some of the displays with the newer boxes had the stretched guides and it looked pretty bad to me. I commented about it and was told that they were "fixing this problem in the next release", whenever that is.

In the meantime, still waiting for a true 16:9 guide... 🙂

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

Fitzy128 wrote:
I also have the "super stretched" guide issue but I am afraid to complain.

@Fitzy128 - Why are you afraid to complain?  Other than wasting your time, wouldn't you agree that reporting issues frequently is the only way to get a resolution?

Guitarguyy wrote:

This explanation I could almost understand. Maybe the repetitive changing of aspect ratios resulted in the HDMI handshake issue (which I also experienced, but it disappeared for me a mth or so before the 1.7 update... so I'm not sure what fixed it).It would explain this "quick and dirty" fix to get the issue resolved, at the expense of an UGLY guide.

@Guitarguyy  - Not to nitpick or word-smith, but how was this consider a "quick fix"?  It has taken at least several months and most of us still don't have a fix.

0 Likes
sjbernst1
Enthusiast - Level 2

When someone tells you that the stretched guide is there to prepare you for a true 16:9 guide then they are feeding you misinformation in order to get you to (edit) and stop complaining.  If they were really preparing you for a true 16:9 guide then the 6XXX series STBs would also have a stretched guide and not just the 7XXX series STBs.  Why couldn't they wait and just give everyone the true 16:9 guide when it was ready.  No, somebody screwed up and Verizon makes excuses.   Verizon usually counts on that most of their customers are naive and that they will believe anything they are told.  The truth is that Verizon screwed up the 7XXX series STB guides and now they are stuck with a bad result for the time being.  Why?  Proof again that Verizon does not research or beta test their upgrages before they actually implement them.  Two years ago, Verizon screwed up the SD PQ for the 6XXX series STBs by introducing 1.6 and it then took six months for the correction to be implemented with 1.6.2.  In the meantime, subs with 6XXX boxes were made to suffer with lousy SD PQ.  Some things never change.

0 Likes