Subscribed favorites list?
thetick

Hi, 

I read the favorites document posted on these forums.  It seems ridiculous to scan through every channel. See if I get it and then add it to favorites list.  This is just so time consuming.  Where is the subscribed  only list? I came from Dish Network and 10 years ago we had a subscribed only favorites list already pre-programed on our STBs.  Version FIOS TV is great and a big improvement over Dish in video quality BUT the no subscribed list, no recalled search and very inaccurate program guide are huge disappoint considering Dish had all these 10 years ago.

0 Likes
Re: Subscribed favorites list?
Justin46
Legend

There is no "subscirbed only" list available on fiOS. But it does sound like a very good idea, Verizon certainly knows what channels you are authorized to receive, there easily could be a selection in the Menu that would populate the favorites list of your choice with only your subscribed channels. One caveat to this is that there are an awful lot of channels that I am authorized for that I have no interest in, so at least for me I would still need to go through some process to remove those channels. Still, what you describe would give each user a good head start on setting up their own favorites list.

I never scanned though the channels themselves to create my favorites, I used the channel lineup card that shows which channels are in which package to help me make the initial decisions about which channels to include or exclude.  And when I found out later that I had included or excluded a channel I reallly wanted I used the Options button as described below to add or delete that individual channel. 

There are a couple of ways to somewhat easily populate a favorites list, rather than going through the set up in the Menu and doing it all at once:

1) In the Menu, choose the selection that adds all channels to the favorites list (now it is the same list of channels as the full Guide). Over time, as you land on a channel that you don't subscribe to or don't want in the list, hit the Options button on the remote, choose the favorites list you want to change, and choose the "remove from the list" option.

2) Just use the full Guide to view/select the channels normally. If you seen one you want on your favorites list, then do the Options button thing I described above, but choose the add to favorites option. Over time this will populate your favorites list with the channels you want and the others will never be in the list.

Which approach works best depends on how many channels you actually want in the favorites: lots, use 1, relatively few, use 2. 

If you choose to start with either of the above, once you have it pretty much set  with the channels you really want you could then go back in through the Menu and remove multiple channels, such as the spanish language channels if you don't want or need them.

Or, of course, just take the time to go through the setup of the favorites through the menu. It does take a little time, but if you pretty much know beforehand (as I did) which channels you get and which ones you want, it really takes less time than you might think. If I had to do it again right now I am guessing it would not take me more than 10 minutes or so to do it.

Also, for a DVR (only), you can use the Remote DVR function to set up and maintain your favorites lists. That might be easier than doing it on the DVR itself through the Menu.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Keller, TX 76248

thetick
Thanks for summary.  I'll just pick the select all channels and remove the ones I don't get.  It will take a little time.  Other then the three complants above FIOS is a big picture quailty improvement from Dish.  Also I can watch TV withut interrupts during storms.   I really do like the simpler Dish's menu (very practical).  The FIOS IMG is flashly and quirky but you can only see one and half hours of the guide on the screen.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

You are welcome. Sorry I forgot the other topics you brought up.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the Guide data accuracy. There have been numerous posts on multiple websites about the poor data quality. Unfortunately Verizon has not seen fit to do much about the data it gets from FYI Television. But we can always hope for something better....

Recalled search is something else that could be beneficial to lots of folks. I have never heard any rumors or gossip that it might be coming in FiOS, but maybe they will surprise us.

At least for me, the 1 1/2 hour display of the guide data is just fine. I have seen a number of posts where folks ask for 3 hours, I most certainly would not object, but that one I just don't particularly care about.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy FiOS, it has certainly been a big improvement for me over my former cable service.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes