Suggestions/Wishlist: Favorites as Guide Default View, 16:9 Guide and Parental Controls
clucas

Had FiOS installed less than a week ago after years as a DirecTV subscriber.  Overall very happy, but the Guide really needs work.  For starters, Guide Options should allow me to set the default view for the guide to include only a) channels I receive; or b) Favorites.  The latter allows me to filter channels I'll never watch from appearing in an already cluttered guide.  Constraining the guide display to 4:3 makes it look more cluttered and limits the amount of data that can be displayed -- a 16:9 view will be a lot easier on the eye as would the ability to suppress the color coding. 

Parental Controls: When I unlock a channel, I should have the following options: Unlock This Channel Only or Unlock All Channels (this works nicely in conjunction with having only channels I receive included in the guide).  Unlocking all channels now requires too many steps. A timer feature would be nice as well.  DirecTV has a 4 hour option, at which point you are prompted to re-enter a password.  A better solution would be half-hour increments(e.g. Susie can watch TV for 30minutes after school, but not get sucked into 6 episodes of Hannah Montana...)

I would appreciate any feedback on the foregoing.  FiOS is a great product -- just a few things to makeit even better.

Chris

0 Likes
Re: Suggestions/Wishlist: Favorites as Guide Default View, 16:9 Guide and Parental Controls
Justin46
Legend

Re: Favorites as default for the Guide. Easy to do, so that when you hit the Guide button all you see are your Favorite channels. If you haven't already, I suggest you read through the PDF linked to from this thread (this thread is sticky'ed at the top of this topic area):

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Exploiting-FiOS-TV-Favorites/td-p/9935

And on the rare occasion that you want to see the entire guide, it is easy to switch to that view.

The other issues you have mentioned are not important to me, so I'm sorry I have no help for that.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Suggestions/Wishlist: Favorites as Guide Default View, 16:9 Guide and Parental Controls
cdmann

I think its time for a true 16x9 HD guide for those of us with HD. For the life of me I cannot understand why this is not available.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

16:9 guide was started (although it was just a stretched 4:3) but it had so many complaints that it was retracted. It is supposed to be coming in not the next upgrade but the one after that. (two upgrades out). It is going to be a true HD 16:9 guide, but it is still in production.

There are ways with the Favorites. The link above is an excellent source.

Same as JUSTIN about the parental controls, I dont need or use them so I have no experience with it.

And just as an aside, this is a user to user forum, with next to no Verizon official presence. There are a few employees that float in and out and try to help, and I'm sure that some of them try and escalate the suggestions. But we have yet to get any kind of "official" site to make suggestions yet.

0 Likes