Surge protection question...
kels

I think we have pretty reliable power supply here in the Seattle area but I'm still wondering if I need better surge protection.  I have an in expensive (under $30.) now.  There's lots to choose from and more money to be spent but I'm not sure how far I should go with this.  Hate to see my home theater blow up!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Surge protection question...
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This is a hard question to answer. Its like asking "how much insurance do I need?"

It boils down to, How much are your systems worth? What would it cost to replace it if it goes bad? What can you afford? Etc

In my bedroom, I have just a cheap 24 inch tube tv, dvd player, and a PS3. nothing expensive and easily replaceable. I only have a $25 surge suppressor power strip and I feel this is plenty.

But in my TV room. Thats another story all together. I have a 46 inch LED TV (this is an amazing tv BTW), Blue ray player, Sony stereo reciever, DVR.   and at my desk next to that, I have my computer and monitor as well. This is all very expensive equipement and would cost me an arm and a leg to replace (if I'm lucky it will only cost an arm and a leg)

For all this it was worth spending some money to put in a UPS system. These can range anywhere from about $60 all the way up into the thousands of dollars.

What is best for you? What can you afford and what would make you feel comfortable is the answer.

I personally spent about $220 on my ups and it make me feel secure. But then again, who knows, it may be a false sence of security.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This is a hard question to answer. Its like asking "how much insurance do I need?"

It boils down to, How much are your systems worth? What would it cost to replace it if it goes bad? What can you afford? Etc

In my bedroom, I have just a cheap 24 inch tube tv, dvd player, and a PS3. nothing expensive and easily replaceable. I only have a $25 surge suppressor power strip and I feel this is plenty.

But in my TV room. Thats another story all together. I have a 46 inch LED TV (this is an amazing tv BTW), Blue ray player, Sony stereo reciever, DVR.   and at my desk next to that, I have my computer and monitor as well. This is all very expensive equipement and would cost me an arm and a leg to replace (if I'm lucky it will only cost an arm and a leg)

For all this it was worth spending some money to put in a UPS system. These can range anywhere from about $60 all the way up into the thousands of dollars.

What is best for you? What can you afford and what would make you feel comfortable is the answer.

I personally spent about $220 on my ups and it make me feel secure. But then again, who knows, it may be a false sence of security.

0 Likes
kels

Thanks for your thoughts on this too Spacey.  Good points.  I think our homeowners policy covers this stuff after the deductible and I'm sure it matters what area one lives in and how constant is the power supply.

Any particular UPS that you like?  That may be the way I will go too.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@kels wrote:

Any particular UPS that you like?  That may be the way I will go too.

Well this is another hard question. UPS's are like Generators, it depends on how much you need to power. Each one has a different power rating. I happen to like the tripplite name brand myself. but you need to find one that meets your power requirements.

This is one that is similar to the one I have. Mine is a couple years older but this is fairly similar

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9044161&st=ups&lp=7&type=product&cp=2&id=1218012127407

0 Likes
kels
Thanks a lot Spacey.
0 Likes