Switched to Verizon TV, Do I Absolutely Need the G3100?
hdtvjeff

Hey,

Just switched tv from optimum to Verizon ( had  ONT for FIOS gigabit already)

The G3100 messed up everything since the tech routed wan from ont  to wan on 3100 then lan from 3100 to my netgear router

It messed up everything as my LAN on my Netgear became 10.0.0.1

Frustrated, I disconnected everything and went from ont to netgear, I even disconnected the coax from g3100

cable Boxes still working ( Don't know if they still will if i disc power to reboot them)

Do I absolutely need the G3100? Impossible to get guide updates without it? 

If I changed the LAN on the G3100 from 192.168.1.1 ( which it took from my netgear) to 192.168.0.1 and then went from the G3100's lan port  to my netgear  wan port , would my netgear then still be 192.168.1.1  ?

Also, if i made my netgear primary from ont would g3100 from netgear port work?

By the way installed fios tv app on my phone ( and it said it needs to connect ONCE to my fios wi fi ONCE.

I said ok and it validated without the G3100 connected and also works on 5g showing all channels

By the way HD quality on my high end 65 inch tvs are not razor sharp ( yes I adjusted sharpness on STB)

I Did info ck and getting above 42db signal strength but so far dissapointed in pic quality

STB are 1 vms4100 and 4  IPC4100 STB

Lot's of questions I know; thanks for all and any help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switched to Verizon TV, Do I Absolutely Need the G3100?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The G3100's web interface is only available from it's LAN.  Connect to it from a device plugged into one of it's LAN ports or on it's WiFi.  There is a setting to open it's UI to the WAN port, but I suggest you avoid that.

With the G3100 as secondary, you may find TV stuff stops working after a few days, weeks or even months.  If that happens, you'll have to put it as primary to get everything running again.

If you want to get your network setup so you don't have to play with it in the future,  you'll have to put the G3100 as primary and use one of my prior suggestions.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 While both NAT router can be in the same subnet, it is not possible for both of them to have the same IP Address. ex 192.168.1.1 primary 192.168.1.2 secondary.

#2 Since I do not have FIOS I am not sure, but I have heard/read that their NAT router is required for FIOS TV.

#3 If you did not have FIOS TV, then you would only to use their NAT router for support.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon set-top-boxes work best with a Verizon router as primary.  They use the LAN to communicate back to Verizon's system for guide data, streaming video, remote DVR access, command/control and more.  If they loose the link, they will operate for a while but eventually stuff will stop working.

The Verizon router automatically and dynamically creates port forwards and other network links needed for the boxes to communicate with Verizon's system.  While some have reported success duplicating these settings in a non-Verizon router, they can change at any time.  Then you need to figure out the new settings and reconfigure your router.  Further, the latest Fios ONE boxes won't activate without a Verizon router.

In short, TV users should keep a Verizon router as primary to avoid issues.

If you prefer the WiFi or other features on your Netgear, connect it's WAN to a LAN port on the G3100.  If you don't want to deal with double-NAT'ing, put it in AP mode.  Otherwise, it will create it's own LAN.  It sounds like it's doing that, but you don't like that it changed the LAN's subnet to avoid conflict with the G3100's LAN.  If that's the case, you can reconfigure the G3100 to a different subnet.  However, know it may get reset back to 192.168.1.x if Verizon support resets the router.  I suggest you consider working with the subnet the Netgear is now using to avoid issues in the future.

As for video quality, I find it to be quite good on my 65" TV.  Make sure you're tuned to the HD version of a channel, as many are available in SD and HD.  Generally speaking, channels 500 and above are HD.  And quality can vary between channels depending on how much compression is used.

hdtvjeff

I wish I could show you the settings on netgear and 3100

Everything works perfectly with negear in the second position except my IP cameras and port fowarding

I always used the wan for my local cameras on my home network, now when i use the current WAN in the address field of the Surveillance software it wont work. Only if I use the local lan will it work

Again Thanks !

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not clear to me why you are trying to use the Netgear router.  The G3100 is a highly featured device.  Unless there is a specific feature of the Netgear that you must have, you should consider removing it from the network.  This will vastly simplify things.

Another option is to run the Netgear in access-point mode.  Then, all devices that connect to it will get IP addresses from the G3100 and be full members of the G3100's LAN.  All port fowards will be handled in the G3100.  Since I don't know why you have the Netgear in the system, I don't know if this will work for you.

If you stay with both routers and keep the Netgear in router mode, port forwarding gets a bit more complex.  You'll need to forward ports through the G3100 to the Netgear, and then through the Netgear to the target device.  I've never done this, but it should work.

hdtvjeff

Because I have 13 IP cameras that use individual ports to connect and broadcast and for that I have to individually and did set up port forwarding for each camera. 

For example 

camera 1

192.168.1 : 3024 port range tcp/ http/ rtsp /https 1101-1104 in and out

And then 12 more entries

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, then you've several options:

• Remove the Netgear router and re-create the port-forwards in the G3100.  This will simplify your network and make it easier to manage in the future.  I recommend this approach.
  • Create port forwards in the G3100 to send the required ports to the Netgear, not your cameras.  This will create two layers of port forwarding.  See the note about complexity above...
  • Put the Netgear router in the G3100's DMZ. 

Whatever approach you find that works for you, make sure to save the G3100's configuration.  Then, if the router gets reset to factory default you can reload your configuration.

hdtvjeff

Thanks for the response; i saw this ONLY after I did the following

G3100 renamed 192.168.0.1

ONT connected to netgear WAN

Netgear LAN then connected to WAN on G3100

I have my cameras back on the Netgear's 192.168.1.1

I can get fios EPG and all shows perfect

The only thing is I cannot access the FIOS G3100 by typing 192.168.0.1

I know it's still 192.168.0.1 because I did a port scan but I cannot access it

I think I'm in bridge mode too

Is there a way to enter the G3100 besides reversing everything and making the G3100 Primary?

It's not the end of the world if i Can't as long as everything stays good

Thank you

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The G3100's web interface is only available from it's LAN.  Connect to it from a device plugged into one of it's LAN ports or on it's WiFi.  There is a setting to open it's UI to the WAN port, but I suggest you avoid that.

With the G3100 as secondary, you may find TV stuff stops working after a few days, weeks or even months.  If that happens, you'll have to put it as primary to get everything running again.

If you want to get your network setup so you don't have to play with it in the future,  you'll have to put the G3100 as primary and use one of my prior suggestions.

hdtvjeff

Thank you !

Just out of curiosity is it possible to request legacy boxes to use with my ont or nowadays one has to use a Fios router  and those mini boxes to get TV?

0 Likes