Switching from Enhanced to Premium
tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have a VMS1100 with the Enhanced DVR service.

I would like to have more space, does switching to Premium mean that you have to change DVRS which means you lose the recordings?

Can we just add an eSATA or USB external drive?

Don't think I need to record 12 shows at once, might be nice, but with 6 I don't run into many conflicts, and when I do I can usually move one recording to a later time.  So more space is probably the only thing I am looking for....

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Switching from Enhanced to Premium
tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Switching to premium gives you a second VMS.

Keep in mind that if a VMS dies, you lose everything on it.

0 Likes
tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can external hard drives be used yet?  If yes, is there a list of supported drives?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

External hard drives are not supported on VMS. If you get Premium each VMS has 1 TB hard drive. 

0 Likes
tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

Switching to premium gives you a second VMS.

Keep in mind that if a VMS dies, you lose everything on it.

I understand that.  I've searched but haven't found anything.  How does a 2nd VMS get hooked up?  Does it replace one of the Clients I currently have?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either. It can replace a client or can be added in a new location. Each VMS will support up to 4 clients. 

0 Likes
toulouse416

I have this same question because I need more space, but I don't want to lose all the recordings on my current box. I'm not great with all the technical terms so I couldn't figure out if this was actually answered, or just talked about. If I switch from Enhanced to Premium will I need a new box?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@toulouse416 wrote:

I have this same question because I need more space, but I don't want to lose all the recordings on my current box. I'm not great with all the technical terms so I couldn't figure out if this was actually answered, or just talked about. If I switch from Enhanced to Premium will I need a new box?

Yes you will get new box. It won't be replacing your current one with the recordings that will stay in place. You will just get a second VMS1100 which is the bigger one. That one is the DVR and it holds the recordings. 

Basically you will take one of the small ones out and connect a second VMS1100 in it's place. 

0 Likes