Switching from ONT-Ethernet based Gigabit to Gigabit+TV. Need VZ Router? Tech install coax?
devsfan18301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so last Feb I opted for Gigabit only service since I dont watch alot of TV anyways. However, they had an appealing deal going to add TV for about an extra 12-20 bucks and lock in for 2 years. Ends up still cheaper than letting my gigabit plan lapse and risk month to month unless they end up keeping a deal going. Plu i gte a 200 dollar google home/next credit id absolutely use for a nest cam to add to my home securty system. However, I fear this has unleashed a pile of headache.

My current setup is ethernet to ONT. I have three unterninated coax wires outside to go to varous rooms. The internet install tech never added plugs and wired them to the ONT. Just coiled em up and left them. SO i guess im stuck with a 160 dollar install fee because the first guy couldnt be bothered to doa  compelete job when it was a free install.

ALSO, I have my own ASUS router. Is it true that i CANT use it with TV? The Versizon support said COAX and Ethernet can be used in parallel and i am not REQUIRED to get the Verizon router. Did they lie to me? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching from ONT-Ethernet based Gigabit to Gigabit+TV. Need VZ Router? Tech install coax?
jonjones1
Legend

@devsfan1830 wrote:

Sorry guess it wasn't clear. I gave back my Quantum Gateway a week after it was installed. There was an overlap between buying my house and leaving my apartment. So my router was installed in my apartment until I had finally moved because i needed service there, but also needed service at the house for my security system. So as soon as i could I gave back the gateway to remove the rental. So now I'm faced with needing SOMETHING. Ideally, keep the gateway out of the loop for at least a month. I'll inevitably need it or the MOCA adapter. That much you made clear and I appreciate it. But if I can just get service started without it for now that would be preffered rather than dropping 150 on top of everything.

That is true I would keep your own router and save a few dollars.

like I said it’s not that difficult to set up to use tv with your own router.

a great place to get all your questions answered is here

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Different configurations and much more. Fios is actually a great internet service.

tv I use a streaming service to avoid the fees, taxes and surcharges that are added on to tv packages. Or phone service 

View solution in original post

Re: Switching from ONT-Ethernet based Gigabit to Gigabit+TV. Need VZ Router? Tech install coax?
jonjones1
Legend

You were not lied to in regards to using your own router. But you will need MOCA adapters and a splitter to keep video on demand and the guide. 

The tech should be able to assist. However if you use the router you bought, they might not assist in your set up. If you use the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router you can use tv and internet with no adapters. But you either purchase it for $150 or rent it for $13 a month from Fios. I believe their is a rental fee increase from $10 to $13 

its cheaper to buy it out right.

0 Likes
devsfan18301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so the tech comes out. Terminates my coax to the ONT. He should just get basic TV working with only the STB theyre shipping me? I can refuse a router if he offers/insists it? Because if thats the case, VOD and Guide are not urgent needs. Hell, if I route the HDMI via my Xbox One I can use its built in guide for a while. Then, if I really want VOD I'd rather get a refurbed router off ebay or a MOCA adapter off amazon. I wonty have DVR or phone so loss of that function is no issue.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@devsfan1830 wrote:

Ok, so the tech comes out. Terminates my coax to the ONT. He should just get basic TV working with only the STB theyre shipping me? I can refuse a router if he offers/insists it? Because if thats the case, VOD and Guide are not urgent needs. Hell, if I route the HDMI via my Xbox One I can use its built in guide for a while. Then, if I really want VOD I'd rather get a refurbed router off ebay or a MOCA adapter off amazon. I wonty have DVR or phone so loss of that function is no issue.

Let’s look at this from a point of ease.

you have a Quantum Gateway already in use. Ethernet for internet and now you want to add tv. They take a coaxial to the set top box from the Quantum and presto you have tv and the guide and vod. 

If you want better wifi you simply use the Asus in access point mode with the Quantum being the dhcp and you then use the Asus for better WiFi coverage and extra lan connections which is easy to do. You should then disable the Quantum WiFi to avoid overlapping interference.

always choose the simplest path to get the service setup you desire.

0 Likes
devsfan18301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry guess it wasn't clear. I gave back my Quantum Gateway a week after it was installed. There was an overlap between buying my house and leaving my apartment. So my router was installed in my apartment until I had finally moved because i needed service there, but also needed service at the house for my security system. So as soon as i could I gave back the gateway to remove the rental. So now I'm faced with needing SOMETHING. Ideally, keep the gateway out of the loop for at least a month. I'll inevitably need it or the MOCA adapter. That much you made clear and I appreciate it. But if I can just get service started without it for now that would be preffered rather than dropping 150 on top of everything.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@devsfan1830 wrote:

That is true I would keep your own router and save a few dollars.

like I said it’s not that difficult to set up to use tv with your own router.

a great place to get all your questions answered is here

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Different configurations and much more. Fios is actually a great internet service.

tv I use a streaming service to avoid the fees, taxes and surcharges that are added on to tv packages. Or phone service 

devsfan18301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah. Same here for a while now. Honestly I just got TV to keep the gigabit speed that would have otherwise gone up. If i can save a few buck monthly and get TV out of the deal for two years I'll take it. Soon as that bill jumps I'll just send the STB right on back. Thanks for your advice!

0 Likes
Tal5

Question/Clarification:

Can I connect an HD Receiver via coax to my existing Quantum router (which is connected to the ONT via Ethernet)?

I signed up for the Double Play deal which gives me TV on top of my existing Gigabit internet, and saves me $20+ a month.  I don't want to have to access the ONT to pull coax from there.

Thanks for any help

0 Likes
devsfan18301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgot i was still subbed to this post. Ive since had my service hooked up so I can probably give you an idea of how its works. Typical setup will be ethernet to the gateway, then if your house coax starts where the ONT is, then theyll hook that existing house wiring to the ONT. Then, from your wall playbcoax gets split to the gateway and the HD receiver. The internet is still gigabit ethernet. The coax is for the settop box to pull guide and on demand data from. Why they dont just use the ethernet jack on the STB is BEYOND me. Probably to end up forcing us to have the gateway. In my case inuse my own asus wifi router bc the gateway 5GHz was constantly freezing. But to get guide and undemand i had to buy a gateway. Then, following instructon another site kept my asus router primary and put the gateway behind it. So i keep own network hardware and the STB is happy. For you, if you only have the quantum gateway life is much simpler.

TL:DR, Gigagbit+ TV uses ethernet for data, existing house coax for tv with a splitter in the wallplate to get data to the receiver from the gateway. Shouldnt need a new pull unless your coax is bad or not near the ONT.

0 Likes
Tal5

Thanks.

Problem is my ONT is outside and the box is partly blocked (can't open full panel) by the Gas company installing a larger gas meter next to it.  There is no COAX cabling there atm.  

I am also keeping Directv, so the Coax/MOCA network infrastructure in the house is being used.

What I would love to do is simply use the Coax port on my Quantum router to feed tv directly to the STB. 

0 Likes