Switching to fios?
dragracer11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Fios from DirectTV. I currently have Fios as my telephone/internet provider. My question is this, the Main box is located in my garage and all the phone jacks meet there. But the satellite multi-switch is located in the attic. I do have a coax cable running from the garage to the attic, a forethought when house was wired. Currently there are four inputs from the dish to the multi-switch and from there it spits and feeds eight out going cables. (the DVR requires two inputs in order to record one channel and watch another) I currently have four TV's in use, living room, br1,br2 and gameroom.  Does Fios use a similar device as a multiswitch in order to split the signal for multiple TV's. Is there a site I can visit to see a schematic diagram of the correct cabling.  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Switching to fios?
PJL
Master - Level 3

@dragracer1 wrote:

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Fios from DirectTV. I currently have Fios as my telephone/internet provider. My question is this, the Main box is located in my garage and all the phone jacks meet there. But the satellite multi-switch is located in the attic. I do have a coax cable running from the garage to the attic, a forethought when house was wired. Currently there are four inputs from the dish to the multi-switch and from there it spits and feeds eight out going cables. (the DVR requires two inputs in order to record one channel and watch another) I currently have four TV's in use, living room, br1,br2 and gameroom.  Does Fios use a similar device as a multiswitch in order to split the signal for multiple TV's. Is there a site I can visit to see a schematic diagram of the correct cabling.  Thanks in advance.

FiOS does not use a multiswitch like satellite services to provice signals to multiple Set Top Boxes.   A coax splitter is used (rated at >1000 MHz) to connect the source coax and split it to the other output lines.  If your existing coax is of acceptable quality, this should be an easy thing to do.  You will obviously only need one coax run to each TV location.

Re: Switching to fios?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

They will remove the multiswitch -- and simply connect all the cable runs together using a standard coax splitter.  The upstream side will be connected to the ONT.  Each of the downstream sides will be connected to an STB located at each TV.   The signal for all channels is distributed in broadband format just like you would have with standard cable.   The DVR STB's have multiple tuners in them and can decode two channels off of a single cable run (and it's expected more when/if Verizon every releases a box with more tuners in it).