TIVO and FIOS - cable box issue
dch102610

I use Verizon DVR on my first two tv's, but I like using TIVO on my third tv.  Unfortunately, the FIOS cable box shuts off ever few hours if the TV is not on.  This renders TIVO useless as it will only record a black screen.  I am assuming verizon isnt doing this intentionally.  I feel like I've looked through every setting.  Is there something I can do to keep the FIOS cable box on permanently so that TIVO continues to record? 

0 Likes
Re: TIVO and FIOS - cable box issue
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This has been discussed in the past, and there are two fixes. 

Solution1: Tivo users have reported that this problem is resolved by Changing from Serial to IR cable.

Solution2: TiVO users have not deselected the High Definition channels from their TiVO channel list AND have TiVO suggestions turned on.

TiVO Users are to try the following.

Go to:

1. Tivo Central

Messages & Settings

Settings

Channels

Channel List

...Page down and deselect each HD channel

• TiVO users may also want to deselect channels that are not on their cable line-up

2. Messages & Settings

Settings

Recording

Tivo Suggestions...change to No 

Try both and let us know if it works. 

0 Likes
siouxsie73

I am having the same issue with my Tivo and Fios.  It has nothing to do with recording HD channels I don't receive.  It simply is due to the Fios cable box powering down when not being used, so that Tivo cannot record programs as scheduled.  Is there a way to stop the Fios cable box from power down resulting in the black screen Tivo recordings?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well, we have a lot of tivo users that have been around these forums, and the above two solutions do work, but if they don't work for you, maybe check the tivo forums and find out what other tivo users are doing.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=486603

two tivo users vouch for the above, and one suggests downgrading to verizon's digital adapter which only changes channels no fancy guide or screen saver but it's SD only.  

I am sure there are other suggestions if you check.

let us know which works best for you, and we can add it to the suggestions.

The suggestions are found at the FiOS FAQ for tivo at BBR http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/4.2_Tivo

0 Likes