TV Guide Listings: HD or just digital???
Director

Why (in the Philadelphia area) are so many local digital programs listed as being in HD when they are not??

i.e.:The local NBC station programs such as "The 10 Show", "Ellen", "Extra", and "Access Hollywood" are listed as being in HD.

They do not appear to be.  They do not fill the screen as true HD programs and commercials do.

It appears the TV Guide lists everything on digital,  stations which broadcast in HD, as being in HD for each individual program even though they may not be. 

It is my impression that even though it is digital, it is not necessarily HiDef??? Or, maybe the individual programs are recorded in HD, but are not being aired in HD on some stations.  Therefore, if this is the case, the local TV Guide should be corrected to reflect how the local station is airing the individual programs(s), and not how the program(s) is supposed to be broadcast.

0 Likes
Re: TV Guide Listings: HD or just digital???
fios24
Enthusiast - Level 3

digital does not equal HD. everything is digital or required to be digital. everything FIOS sends over the fiber is digital altho not all of it is HD.

also, not everything that is HD is wide screen. that is at the discretion of the broadcaster. if a particular show won't benefit from wide screen, they can make it 4:3 if they so choose. it is still HD because it is a much higher resolution than SD, but it won't be wide screen.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Sometimes a channel will mention that it is broadcast in HD -- that doesn't mean the show you are watching on that channel is in HD.  Usually it is an indicator if you goto the local HD channel (around the 500s if I am not mistaken) the same show will be in HD.
0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@DzWR wrote:
Sometimes a channel will mention that it is broadcast in HD -- that doesn't mean the show you are watching on that channel is in HD.  Usually it is an indicator if you goto the local HD channel (around the 500s if I am not mistaken) the same show will be in HD.

@That's not exactly true.  On USA (TNT?) NCIS in the lower #'s is non-HD.  If one then bips to the equivalent # in the 500's one finds that that channel is playing Law and Order.  However, if you bip up to 1500 one finds it's the same NCIS - in non-HD, just like the lower @ channel.  I don't know if FIOS planned it that way or if it's a boo-boo,

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Yep, thats why I mentioned sometimes -- but it tends to be when the SD channel says it is broadcasted in HD that you can find the same on the HD channel.

Really depends on the provider of the channel.  Then again, sometimes I have no clue why a station does what it does.

0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@DzWR wrote:

Really depends on the provider of the channel.  Then again, sometimes I have no clue why a station does what it does.

Chuckle, AGREED!

0 Likes