TV Guide Stopped Working
Tgrizzle

Hi all,

I recently moved my router to the living room as it was next to the ONT previously which was in a metal fuse box, in the closet, covered by clothes. The signal was crappy and now it's much better. 

I moved the router by running an Ethernet cord from the ONT to the living room. I disconnected the coax from the ONT to the router. 

The TV guide as working fine for a few days like this but after I had to unplug and replug the STB, it now no longer works. The other STB still works fine. 

Obviously this is related to the router not being plugged in via coax, right? What options do I have? Can I just split the coax in my living room so that it feeds into both the STB and router? Or does the router need to be connected directly to the ONT via coax?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV Guide Stopped Working
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tgrizzle wrote:

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance but the coax that went from the ONT to the router has been disconnected for a few days already and tv picture is fine. Does that mean that there's a separate coax that is connected to the ONT that is supplying picture to the STBs and that just a splitter in the living room would be sufficient?

Are you sure there isn't coax connected to the ONT anymore? The coax provides RF to the STBs for video. The coax going to the router creates a MoCA network for the STBs for the Guide/On Demand. 

Just take the coax out of the STB in the Living room, connect it to a 2 port splitter one will connect to the router and the other will connect to the STB. Reboot your STBs and your Guide will come back.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can use a 2 port splitter cable the Living room. The router doesn't need to be directly connected to the ONT. Typically coax will come out of the ONT to a main splitter which then feeds the coax lines through out the house. The router can have it's own coax connection or can be split at the STB.

Tgrizzle

Thanks. If I split the living room, do I need to still plug in the ONT coax somewhere?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that coax needs to connect to the ONT. You said that the ONT and router were in the closet together before you moved it so I'm assuming that all the coax in your house runs back to that fuse box. That coax needs to stay connected or the STBs will loose picture. Just make sure the splitter you get is rated for at least 1000MHz.

Tgrizzle

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance but the coax that went from the ONT to the router has been disconnected for a few days already and tv picture is fine. Does that mean that there's a separate coax that is connected to the ONT that is supplying picture to the STBs and that just a splitter in the living room would be sufficient?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

There should be coax going from the ONT to the router, through a splitter. There should also be coax going from the splitter to the VMS. The mini can go wireless, or be wired too.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tgrizzle wrote:

Are you sure there isn't coax connected to the ONT anymore? The coax provides RF to the STBs for video. The coax going to the router creates a MoCA network for the STBs for the Guide/On Demand. 

Just take the coax out of the STB in the Living room, connect it to a 2 port splitter one will connect to the router and the other will connect to the STB. Reboot your STBs and your Guide will come back.