TV Guide
GeorgeCostanza
Enthusiast - Level 1

The TV Guide that is provided by the service Verizon uses is horrible.   I have had cable, Dish and now Fios.   Every verison of the guide was a quantum leap better than what Fios offers.  Ironically, it appears to come from the people who invented this service TV GUIDE themselves.  Annenberg must be turning over in his grave.  This version of TV Guide is so bereft of information.

Let's say I want to watch an episode of Entourage.  I see it on the guide and click on it.  It is a current episode or one from two seasons ago.  No idea.

Let's say I see an episode of Dirty Jobs on the grid.   Is the this weeks or last week?  When did it first air?  What are the topics, often it is not there.

For movies, no dates, no actors.

The Guide is just garbage.

Verizon doesn't help either by offering a variety of favorites.  I don't watch MTV but my daughter does.  Can't we each have our own favorites?  I don't watch Lifetime, but my wife does.   We used to have 4 or 5 favorites.

All in all this switch to FIOS has not been all that happy for me.   The INternet is about the same speed as DSL.  I lost TRU (formerly Court TV) and MSNBC.

I suspect next year I will be back to DSL and the Dish.   I hope verizon monitors this forum, but I doubt it.

Re: TV Guide
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Yes, the guide is bad, but it's not by TV Guide despite the logo you see in the lower left corner. It's supplied by a company called FYI Television. You will have two Favorites when they upgrade your area to IMG 1.6 within the next month. TruTV is on channel 183.
0 Likes
Kathleen
VZ Employee Emeritus

GeorgeCostanza wrote:

I hope verizon monitors this forum, but I doubt it.

Hello GeorgeCostanza,

As a matter of fact, yes, these Forums are monitored.  Besides the additional favorites, were there any additional ideas you had?  We'd be interested to know.

Regards,

Kathleen

Verizon Forums Team Administrator

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

George,

I don';t know where you are, or what level of the IMG you have, but:

1) If you are looking at a specific program on the Guide, if you hit the Info button you will get more detail about the program, at least I do on IMG 1.5 (date for a movie, a few actors, whether it is new or not (not sure about the accuracy of the New flag????), episode name, etc)

2) I have truTV here, it is on channel 163, don't know why you wouldn't have it, wherever you are (I will guess NY or NJ, since I know that MSNBC is not available in some areas there due to contractual limits imposed by MSNBC and Comcast I think).  

But overall, I agree with you 100%, the current Guide is very inaccurate. Some people just totally hate it, I don't, other than the content, I sometimes think it is wrong more than it is right.

Re: internet speed. What service do you have? It should be much faster than DSL. Have you run the FiOS optimizer that will set some values within Windows to take advantage of the speed? I have 15/2 service, I typically get 15/4 when I test, on most test sites. One thing I had to do recently was give up on the Verizon DNS servers, far too slow, I went to OpenDNS and it improved significantly (free service).

Hope this helps a little. Don't give up, things hopefully will get better.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Justin,

TruTV is on channel 183 as I stated before not 163.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@matcarl wrote:

Justin,

TruTV is on channel 183 as I stated before not 163.

matcarl,

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect, it is on channel 163, I am looking at it right now (Bait Car is on) - 163, 163, 163, not 183, got it? 183 is MTV Jams.

Now, it may very well be on 183 where you are, but here in North Texas it is 163. And it may very well be on 183 next week, after our channel realignment, but right now, tonight, it is on 163 (and looking at the new channel lineup effective next week, yes, it will be on 183). But not now...

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I just realized the difference. Your state wasn't realigned yet. It's new position will be 183. I don't know which state the original poster is in, he may be in a state that was already realigned, he'll have to check both spots.
Message Edited by matcarl on 10-03-2008 05:59 AM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

For those of you who have read my previous post, please ignore it, I have apologized privately to matcarl, I was out of line.

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX.

0 Likes
NewFiosLover271

I also agree, Fios Guide does lack content~

Saw somewhere that you can get Tivo to help in this area. But you will pay out for it out of pocket. Good things, don't come cheap. $$$

Also, DishNetwork customer here. Giving Fios three more weeks to show me some updated material on its guide or back I go.Gotta love that 30 day money back guantee!

Message Edited by NewFiosLover27 on 10-03-2008 09:22 PM
Message Edited by NewFiosLover27 on 10-03-2008 09:23 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Back to Dish. Even without a guide I would never go back to the clouds. Been a FIOS customer since 2005 and was beating their door down to get it then. Signed up for TV in 2007 and have not looked back. Quality in picture far out weighs the lack of a decent guide. But perhaps not for all. I suspect if VZ needed to sign with TV Guide or perhaps a Deal with TIVO, all our prices would go up. Even with picture quality, they need to stay priced below the others to make it worth it. Let me see you get 20mbps from Dishnetwork, and all three for under $200. I seem to recall with DTV it was well over a $100, VZ phone another $50 internet another $50, well there you have it. If you want to pay for the best DVR service then pony up, get a TIVO, and a cable card. I would rather not pay mega bucks for my service. But if VZ would get a better guide all would be good.
0 Likes