Re: TV One mini wireless connection
Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

As the originator of this topic, I thought I would provide an update.

Continued issues with delayed pictured / pixelation.  On occasion, I unplug the One Mini and the main box, let them sit, then plug back in.  Over the past many months, this has helped.

About 2 weeks ago, I took a recommendation from this thread and installed an extender.  Plugged the One Mini into the extended via ethernet and changed the One Mini to a wired connection.  This was working great but then the problems started again.  So, 10’ days ago; I changed the One Mini back to a WiFi connection.  We have not had any issues since this change (knock on wood).  Cannot imagine that changing connection from WiFi to wired to WiFi somehow fixed the problems but it sure is working great!

Fire10

I've tried this method with no success. Actually the screen froze after a bit and I had to disconnect everything to reset. I'm using a TP-Link wifi extender and the ethernet port. I thought even just placing the wifi extender right behind the TV next to the minibox might help but the settings keep saying "poor SNR". My mini is only about 25ft from the router. Seems Verizon has poor design. Surprised they haven't addressed it since it is a selling point.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fire10 wrote:

I've tried this method with no success. Actually the screen froze after a bit and I had to disconnect everything to reset. I'm using a TP-Link wifi extender and the ethernet port. I thought even just placing the wifi extender right behind the TV next to the minibox might help but the settings keep saying "poor SNR". My mini is only about 25ft from the router. Seems Verizon has poor design. Surprised they haven't addressed it since it is a selling point.

Have you tried looking at using a wifi analytics app like the Netgear one? Could be interference from another device using the same 5gighz channel that is on auto switching and occasionally uses the same channel the Fios mini uses. I've seen people that change the channel assignments in their routers for the 5ghz channel have success once they make it a static channel. Also saw another user that had interference come from a Firestick on the same wifi SSID as the fios box. The mini does have a problem with its wifi antenna or software it would appear, that's why hardwired to an extender works well for most people. That is until something Interferes with the signal to the repeater.

Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only device on my 5G channel connection is the One Mini.  This has been the case for quite some time and did not solve the issue.  Note my router is about 15 feet away from the One Mini and the main One box is downstairs one level.  I have never tried connecting the One Mini to the 2G channel and everything else to the 5G.  I’ll try that if / when it starts acting up again.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Clevfan65 wrote:

The only device on my 5G channel connection is the One Mini.  This has been the case for quite some time and did not solve the issue.  Note my router is about 15 feet away from the One Mini and the main One box is downstairs one level.  I have never tried connecting the One Mini to the 2G channel and everything else to the 5G.  I’ll try that if / when it starts acting up again.

Doesn't matter how close to the Wifi source the mini is, the wireless system in the box is not working well. That's why I recommend hardwiring to a network extender. Also you can't force the mini to 2.4G network, it's locked to 5Ghz as far as I know. You may be getting interference from another device or network outside yours on the same channel. That's why I suggest looking for a network analyzer app and checking for traffic on the 5Ghz channel you are using.

Samantha2333

Omg. I been having the same issue since April 2019 when I got Fios!!!

i was looking online to see if I can find out why and wouldn’t you know it I came across this

0 Likes
RichBx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had very bad connection issues with these set top boxes recently after upgrading to the new Verizon Home Router G3100.

I had a one mini connected via both Ethernet and Coax, at one point or another, before purchasing this router. Also, I was using it with my own router before then along with a MoCA Ethernet bridge with absolutely no issues.

I was able to resolve the connectivity issues by changing the auto channel switching feature under wifi channel settings to a static channel. I did a channel scan on the 5Ghz frequency and switched to a clearer channel.

Prior to changing this setting, the router would periodically check the airspace in my area and change channels automatically to attempt to get better reception. Since I live in an apartment building, the channels are always changing as the environment changes with neighboring connected devices.

Changing the channel to a static channel has stopped the boxes getting disconnected and has also resulted in less interference.

Atahualpa1

Well , I'm kind of regretting switching my old boxes for these new versions,  even main one does not pick up my HD channel or right my mini one. Freezing all the time .  

0 Likes
stock323

gigabit router wifi to cell, ipad and laptops all good

a few short outages but rarely router needed reboot or RESET VIA reset button

BUT.... MINI FAILING TO CONNECT WITH ROUTER... ??? BUT LAPTOPS IPADS ETC ARE GETTING SIGNAL

a)  2-3 weeks it's ok, mini worked.. but had 1 or 2 '' wifi no connection '' problems. reboot router or mini temporarily solved the issue

b) reset of mini worked once or twice

c) after hours and many REBOOT AND/ OR RESET OF MINI AND ROUTER

SAME **bleep**

0 Likes
Rob22NYC

So how exactly do you connect the wireless extender to the Mini? I bought a 5ghz extender. Set it up so it can access my WiFi network. Then I plugged it in near my TV and connected the Ethernet cable from the  extender to the back of the mini. Now when I connect the mini to my TV it keeps freezing on “preparing network connection”. What am I missing?

0 Likes