Re: TV One mini wireless connection
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rob22NYC wrote:

So how exactly do you connect the wireless extender to the Mini? I bought a 5ghz extender. Set it up so it can access my WiFi network. Then I plugged it in near my TV and connected the Ethernet cable from the  extender to the back of the mini. Now when I connect the mini to my TV it keeps freezing on “preparing network connection”. What am I missing?

Try first turning EVERYTHING off. then reboot the Fios Router, your extender, your Fios VMS box, then the mini. Hopefully that will reset everything and you'll have a connection. If you still have issues, check to see if the mini is trying to connect with the Ethernet connection or the wireless connection, and make sure it is going wired.

Rob22NYC

I tried turning everything off and it still freezes at "preparing network connection" during reload. To review the setup I move my router (which is connect via coax) downstairs next to the tv with the wireless mini. The FIOS VMS (also connected via coax) is upstairs. There also is an Verizon extender upstairs that is connected via coax right next to it. I bought   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BYWMSMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

this wifi extender. I connected to the FIOS wifi signal with no problem. Then I turned off the wireless mini, connect the two via ethernet. But for some reason, although it recognizes that its a wired connection, it won't load past preparing network connection" . So frustrating! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rob22NYC wrote:

I tried turning everything off and it still freezes at "preparing network connection" during reload. To review the setup I move my router (which is connect via coax) downstairs next to the tv with the wireless mini. The FIOS VMS (also connected via coax) is upstairs. There also is an Verizon extender upstairs that is connected via coax right next to it. I bought   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BYWMSMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

this wifi extender. I connected to the FIOS wifi signal with no problem. Then I turned off the wireless mini, connect the two via ethernet. But for some reason, although it recognizes that its a wired connection, it won't load past preparing network connection" . So frustrating! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try settings >system >fios TV one mini settings>wifi connection, follow instructions on disconnecting from wifi network. If that doesnt help, go direct to the router with the ethernet cable, eliminating the extender. Also try: menu>customer support >top support tools >fix fios TV issues.

Pabloj240

Same problem.  Horrible that Verizon hasn’t sent everyone a new set top box with better WiFi reception capabilities.  My router is about 8 feet away from my set top box through a ceiling with 1 layer of Sheetrock and a hard wood floor.   A cell phone from 2005 had better WiFi reception than the Verizon set top boxes. 
The only reason I chose Verizon over Comcast was to not have to run coax. Total lies by Verizon. They need to make it right.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Pabloj24 wrote:

Same problem.  Horrible that Verizon hasn’t sent everyone a new set top box with better WiFi reception capabilities.  My router is about 8 feet away from my set top box through a ceiling with 1 layer of Sheetrock and a hard wood floor.   A cell phone from 2005 had better WiFi reception than the Verizon set top boxes. 
The only reason I chose Verizon over Comcast was to not have to run coax. Total lies by Verizon. They need to make it right.

As I've said before, it would seem the mini has a hard time with the wireless signal in many cases. The recommendation is to either go wired, or use a wireless extender, wired to the mini. It's the hardware in the mini that seems to be the problem, something that can't be fixed with a firmware update or it would have been done by now.

Schlagel1

Doesn’t connect to the server ( that’s the bigger box) connects to the router

0 Likes
RichBx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have solved this problem finally with the help of this forum and also my own tinkering.

If you are using the G3100 Home Router please make sure your channel selection on the 5Ghz band is set to auto and also turn on DFS channels. This can be done either through verizon myfios app or through router management web portal. 

This will allow the router to auto scan for the best channel but also include channels in the DFS range (52-132). These channels are only selectable when you choose auto btw.

This is important as most routers do not have DFS channels enabled automatically and should eliminate some of the interference from other channels, especially if you are in apartment environment.

If this doesn't work for you, you can also manually select the wireless access point that your mini connects to.

To do this, go into the mini network settings. Turn on the box, using the power button on the box, while pressing the ok button on your remote 2 times very quickly. 

Once there you can select Network Configuration and set the access point.

You can go back to the original SSID by selecting the WPS option in the same config menu and then pressing the WPS button on your home router for 3 seconds.

The original SSID should be something like Fios-xxxxx-TV.

DJ411
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had similar issues, and now have a clean solution.

I have a Tv One box, connected to the ONT via coax.

I have a G1100 router, connected to the ONT via both coax and ethernet.

Then I have a Netgear ORBI system hanging off the G1100 router (Netgear router via ethernet, couple of satellites via WiFi)

All this worked fine. But the Fios Mini boxes did not connect via wifi, and I do not have a coax/ethernet cable near the Mini boxes.

Solution: I put the Netgear satellite next to the TV, hooked it via cat-6 patch to the Fios Mini, and it works like a charm. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DJ4 wrote:

I had similar issues, and now have a clean solution.

I have a Tv One box, connected to the ONT via coax.

I have a G1100 router, connected to the ONT via both coax and ethernet.

Then I have a Netgear ORBI system hanging off the G1100 router (Netgear router via ethernet, couple of satellites via WiFi)

All this worked fine. But the Fios Mini boxes did not connect via wifi, and I do not have a coax/ethernet cable near the Mini boxes.

Solution: I put the Netgear satellite next to the TV, hooked it via cat-6 patch to the Fios Mini, and it works like a charm. 

This is what I have been telling people to do for quite some time. It seems the wifi hardware in the mini is not reliable, but by using the extender to provide wireless connectivity and wiring that to the mini you have a reliable setup.

Shifty_O

What’s the range on this device? Would like to add one to my work shed?

0 Likes