Re: TV One set top box issue. No signal to TV...
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mopzo wrote:

Update:

Yesterday changed to 1080p. Turned off STB/TV for a few hours. Energized and a normal picture was displayed. Thought that you were on the something.

Shutdown for the night. Awoke next morning, grabbed some coffee, energized both devices.....blank screen. Just audio. Unplugged/plugged HDMI cable. Picture returned.

I'll try 1080i next. But I have a 4K TV (TCL 65") It accepts Apple TV HDR/Dolby 4K all day...Why should downgrade my view resolution to resolve an apparent problem with the STB. 

I do greatly appreciate the assistance.

Check the input menu on the TV for an enhanced color or HDR setting or 4K setting for the input you are using for the Fios box. Also make sure all the cables are High-Speed certified.

0 Likes
mopzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

The 1080i test was successful. But that was only one night. I'll leave it and test for a few days.

I replaced the spaghetti thin HDMI cable supplied from Verizon with a Monster HDMI cable. It's the same cable I use for the Apple TV to TV connection.

Question:

How could it be a cable issue if I can switch from 1080i to display 2160p?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mopzo wrote:

The 1080i test was successful. But that was only one night. I'll leave it and test for a few days.

I replaced the spaghetti thin HDMI cable supplied from Verizon with a Monster HDMI cable. It's the same cable I use for the Apple TV to TV connection.

Question:

How could it be a cable issue if I can switch from 1080i to display 2160p?

The problem with poor HDMI cable is usually low bandwidth. To pass 2160 HDR the cable needs to have an 18Gps bandwidth. You might be able to get away with a lower bandwidth cable for very short distances, but if the program material gets complex, the data rate goes up and you have issues.

0 Likes
mopzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

For three straight mornings, had no issues at 1080i. This morning and a blank screen. Unplugged/plugged HDMI cable and picture returned. A cable issue? High speed not a requirement then.

Switched to 2160 to watch Netflix via Verizon. Nothing but snow. Had to force a reboot.

After that I was able to watch 2160 programming. Why would it be a cable issue when it works then sometimes not?

It's a 6ft HDMI cable. Same as used for my Apple TV connection. No issues with that configuration.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mopzo wrote:

For three straight mornings, had no issues at 1080i. This morning and a blank screen. Unplugged/plugged HDMI cable and picture returned. A cable issue? High speed not a requirement then.

Switched to 2160 to watch Netflix via Verizon. Nothing but snow. Had to force a reboot.

After that I was able to watch 2160 programming. Why would it be a cable issue when it works then sometimes not?

It's a 6ft HDMI cable. Same as used for my Apple TV connection. No issues with that configuration.

The intermittent issue could be a cable issue.  Bad connector, bandwidth issues, interference issues. The ones Verizon gives you are for 1080 at best. Also is the input the fios box going to on your TV setup for auto resolution, 4K or 1080i? Is it also set to enhanced or deep color? Do you see the Screen saver on the fios box? Worst case is you may have a bad Fios box if nothing else helps.

0 Likes
mopzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting you mention interference. STB sits on my PS4 which I leave in rest mode when not in use. I'll try a complete shutdown of the PS4. 

You're right, the VZ supplied HDMI cable is a **bleep**.

I've gone through my TV settings. I see nothing referring to enhanced or deep color or anything close. 

I see a screen saver when I get a picture...

I'm relenting, just ordered a new HDMI cable;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDH11BJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thoughts?

I'll receive the cable tomorrow. I'll let you how it works. Greatly appreciate your assistance. I've enjoyed our conversations.

Mike

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mopzo wrote:

Interesting you mention interference. STB sits on my PS4 which I leave in rest mode when not in use. I'll try a complete shutdown of the PS4. 

You're right, the VZ supplied HDMI cable is a **bleep**.

I've gone through my TV settings. I see nothing referring to enhanced or deep color or anything close. 

I see a screen saver when I get a picture...

I'm relenting, just ordered a new HDMI cable;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDH11BJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thoughts?

I'll receive the cable tomorrow. I'll let you how it works. Greatly appreciate your assistance. I've enjoyed our conversations.

Mike

That cable is the absolute best you could get for your system. It meets all the requirements for 4K HDR and ARC. If you still have problems, you can count out the cable. Interesting thought on having the Fios box on top of the PS4. A lot of electrical stuff going on in there and I'm sure very little shielding. What make and model TV are you using? i might be able to look it up and make some suggestions.

0 Likes
mopzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Installed new cable last night. Purposely set FiOS resolution to 2160. Not sure if this mattered, but on my TV I can chose what I want displayed upon turning the TV on. It was set to Live TV (OTH) because of the blank screen issue. Changed it to display FiOS. Shutdown for the night.

This morning everything worked as supposed to.  Too early to say if it's fixed but off to a good start.

TV: TCL 65" Roku TV

0 Likes
mopzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Worked the first morning. Hasn't worked since. Only option left is to replace the box. But has recordings we want. Guess we'll live with it for now.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mopzo wrote:

Worked the first morning. Hasn't worked since. Only option left is to replace the box. But has recordings we want. Guess we'll live with it for now.

Thanks for your help.

Are you going straight from the Fios box to the TV? Have you tried another HDMI input on the TV for the Fios box? Do you always see the screensaver when you turn off the Fios box?

0 Likes