TV Refresh Rate 125 HZ
Avogadro1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My SAMSUNG HD TV has a video refresh rate of 125 HZ. (Motion Flow Feature). 

What is the refresh rate of the FIOS TV programming? 

I've noticed some blurring of motion in HD Sports programming. Is this normal?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV Refresh Rate 125 HZ
Avogadro1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the education.

I'm a brand new FIOS HD subscriber.  I was under the impression that all HD programming was available at 1080P. To have to settle for 1080i is a dissapointment.  I'll try the 720P format, but is that really still considered HD?  I've experimented with turning off the motion flow feature and was dissappointed by the blurred motion in either case. What are the prospects of getting broadcast content at the the full 1080P in the future?

Thanks for your Help.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's normal for 1080i to blur on fast action movies and sports.  

You probably have 120 hz, and FiOS sends what the "broadcasters" send, and that is usually 1080i 30fps 60Hz.  If you're noticing that kind of artifact - then you may want to try the 720 P setting in the set top box, or if you get the 1.9 update, look for the Native setting.   you access this through menu > settings > video settings > video format 

In the United States, 720p is the preferred format for Fox, ABC, A&E Television Networks, Ion Television, DirecTV's The 101 Network, and Epix (TV network)

Also try to simply turn off the motion flow, extra video processing sometimes has wierd effects.  so try it on and off. 

Avogadro1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the education.

I'm a brand new FIOS HD subscriber.  I was under the impression that all HD programming was available at 1080P. To have to settle for 1080i is a dissapointment.  I'll try the 720P format, but is that really still considered HD?  I've experimented with turning off the motion flow feature and was dissappointed by the blurred motion in either case. What are the prospects of getting broadcast content at the the full 1080P in the future?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Avogadro wrote:. What are the prospects of getting broadcast content at the the full 1080P in the future?

The problem is one of bandwidth.  Going to full 1080p would doulble the bandwidth per channel requirement and I'm not sure that the ATSC standard (OTA broadcast standard) could even handle the bandwidth.  For now 1080p will have to be relegated to hardwired devices or VOD.

And yes, 720p is still considered HD.  SD is 480i.  All the Disney channels (ABC, ESPNs, Disney, etc.) and all the FOX channels (FOX, FX, Speed, etc.) are sent by the provider in 720p.

Avogadro1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Appreciate the reply to my questions. Thanks for the information. Smiley Happy

0 Likes