TV SET TOP BOXES TO LARGE
RobertNPR
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am remodeling my guest room and mounting my 19" TV on the wall.  My problem is were do I mount the very large (15" X 10"X 2") set top box?  It is about the same size as my TV.  I contacted Verizon and they were no help, but to offer a smaller unit box but I lose a lot of needed features.  They also offered a cable card if your TV has capability, mine does not.  So what I am asking is that Verizon with all of its technology should be able to come up with a set top box that is more presentable and pleasing to the eye and at size that can be mostly out of site.  Yes I know that you must be able to have line of site for the remote.  Also while I am at it the front display, the LED should have a way to turn off.  To much light in the room while trying to sleep.  Thanking you in advance Bob {Edited for privacy}

PS: Bright House Networks box is better.

0 Likes
Re: TV SET TOP BOXES TO LARGE
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@RobertNPR wrote:

... what I am asking is that Verizon ... come up with a set top box that is more presentable and pleasing to the eye and at size that can be mostly out of site ...

Your wishes may soon be granted.  Search for "Verizon Media Server" and you will find details on the upcoming system that allows much smaller devices and a much more sophisticated system and presentation.  It's not here yet, and I don't think anyone knows exactly when it will arrive, but it's looking very interesting.

More details here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/CES-2013-and-items-that-will-change-the-way-you-enj...

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@RobertNPR wrote:

I am remodeling my guest room and mounting my 19" TV on the wall.  My problem is were do I mount the very large (15" X 10"X 2") set top box?  It is about the same size as my TV.  I contacted Verizon and they were no help, but to offer a smaller unit box but I lose a lot of needed features.  They also offered a cable card if your TV has capability, mine does not.  So what I am asking is that Verizon with all of its technology should be able to come up with a set top box that is more presentable and pleasing to the eye and at size that can be mostly out of site.  Yes I know that you must be able to have line of site for the remote.  Also while I am at it the front display, the LED should have a way to turn off.  To much light in the room while trying to sleep.  Thanking you in advance Bob {Edited for privacy}

PS: Bright House Networks box is better.

Hello,

One other suggestion:

the Verizon FiOS set top box can be placed behind a cabinet or enclosure and you can use an infrared (IR) remote control extender to ensure that the FiOS TV remote can still control the STB.  

The STB needs to have a working IR remote input port on the back panel.

Verizon's IR extenders (3 ft. long) are available for purchase:

a) online via www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

OR

b) at a local FiOS TV store (call first to check if they have them in stock).  For a list of stores:  http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/8...

These extenders are supported on Motorola 7000 series STBs, but not the 6000 series.  The IR extenders also work on Cisco STBs (the accessories website has not been updated yet to include these newer types).

Feel free to compare these prices with ones sold thru your local electronics store.

As far as the LED display on the front of the STB, the brightness can be adjusted from the FiOS TV remote:

Menu -- Settings -- Set-Top Box -- LED Brightness -- Low/Medium/High.

Lastly, if you have a Motorola account, there is a newer model regular Motorola STB that is smaller in dimension and does not have a clock display. 

http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/receivers/equipment+issues/top+questions.htm

From the link above, you can check out the Motorola 7100-P2 model.

Hope this helps!

Gary201

You could always throw it in a closet or something and get a box sensor that you stick on the tv and run it through the wall to the stb.

:edit: sorry Becca, should have noticed that you already suggested the sensor. 🙂

0 Likes
RobertNPR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I have a Motorola model QIP2500/1006 set top box.  Will it work with the remote control extender that you pointed out?  Also you said it must be a working input port located at the rear of the set top box.  Mine has a Digital Audio Optical in put is this what you are refereeing to?  How do I determine if it is a "working input"?  Thanking you in advance Bob.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look for a jack labeled "IR" on the back panel.  That's for the infrared repeater.  You can pick on up on Amazon for a few bucks, or get it direct from Verizon.

Enjoy!

Hubrisnxs
Legend

the 2500 does not have an ir extender port, it has an IR BLaster port which is different.   think input vs output.   

he following table list compatability with popular verizon fios boxes (Hybrid QAM/IP Set Top Boxes):

QIP 7232YES
QIP 7216YES
QIP 7100YES
QIP 2500NO - IR Blaster Port Only
QIP 2708NO - IR Blaster Port Only
QIP 6416NO - IR Blaster Port Only
QIP 6200NO - IR Blaster Port Only

NOTE: This product is for Motorola cable boxes with a connection marked "IR REMOTE INPUT" or "EXT IR IN" only. Jacks simply marked "IR" are typically ir blaster outputs designed to control an external piece of equipment such as a vcr.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looking at the Brighthouse website, their boxes don't look much smaller.

You could upgrade to a 7100P2 HD STB. Has no display and it is a bit smaller than the 2500s.

0 Likes
Mags6

The original message was posted in 2013. Here it is 2018 and I have not heard that small "set top boxes" are available?  The competitor has smaller cable boxes why not Verizon?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes