TV blacks out for a few seconds...Very frequently
deerwood558
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never happens on the analog box, but on the HD box it hapens frequently, every day.  What is the problem???

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV blacks out for a few seconds...Very frequently
deerwood558
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was the original poster to this problem.  Verizon swapped my 7 series dvr for a QIP 6416-7 DVR and the problem has never occured again.  The technician I talked to was well aware of this problem and knew exactly what was the culprit and the proper fix.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

are you using hdmi, have you tried using component instead?

0 Likes
VZ_Frank
Contributor - Level 2

Sounds like a possible cabling issue, or maybe a bad port on the stb/tv

0 Likes
MrMcMac

It happens to me as well. A half dozen times an evening. More frequently on the HDMI connected TV, but on the Component connected TV too. Verizon blames it in "poor cables" or connectors on the TV. It has never occurred to them to A: Provide the cabling of a quality they think is required. or B: Admit that the boxes they provide do "get behind" in some way from time to time, and cut out to "re-sync".

Whichever, I think it's a problem that we have to live with until the technology catches up with the incredible bandwidth signal that the boxes and out Costco TVs have to deal with. Although I have no idea if a $4000 Sony and a $200 HDMI cable have any fewer problems than I do with my $600 TV and my $60 cable.

0 Likes
Spencer

This is also happening to me.  Just a few seconds- very frequently 5 to 10 times in an evening's viewing.  It also shows up in programs I have recorded.  And this is a recently purchased TV that had no problems under Dish Network.  The cables are not poor quality.  I have written to Verizon about this-- but have not had a reply.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, I think when VZ_Frank mentioned cabling he was speaking of the coax cable that was run in at time of install, not the cables hooked up to your TV.  Try this, reseat the coax cable going to the STB. Then if it is still happening you need to call tech support, not write to someone. You can reach tech support at 888-553-1555 option 2 if necessary.

0 Likes
GalwayGirl

I have had the same issue, except its more than 5 or 10 times.  Its happening about 8 times an hour.  It started last night (or yesterday while I was at work).  It does not matter the channel, and happens when watching live TV, or when watching DVR content.  I called last night, and was told there had been issues in my area, and to give it a few hours...  That was 8 hours ago.

I have an HD DVR, using HDMI.  Nothing has changed in the almost 9 months I have had the service.

0 Likes
deerwood558
Enthusiast - Level 2

Called Verizon.  This is a known problem.  Will try to be addressed in a future software download.  In the meantime the verizon tech on the phone reprogrammed my dvr.  Will see if condition improves.

0 Likes
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

I just got Fios on 10/23/09 and have the same problem with the TV losing a signal for a second and then coming back on.  My HD box is linked to an HdMI cable to my TV.  I believe from researching this it is an issue with the HD boxes and the HdMI connection due to the firmware to the box.  According to what I read you can possible resolve the issue by Hooking the HD Fios box and TV together with Component cables instead of an HdMi cable.  I have not tried but I'd like to hear others experience of whether this works or not.

Ultimately Verizon will have to update the firmware for the boxes and they will push them down the network to the individuals boxes.

For more discussion I suggest reading the link below.  This is a well worn thread as this seems to be a long-standing common problem.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Picture-cutting-in-and-out/td-p/21828/page...

0 Likes
drknapp

Mine has started to do this also.

0 Likes