TV's out of sync with each other
HNP

We often have two TVs on the same channel so we can hear from the kitchen.  One has a DVR and the other a STB (non-DVR).  There is a half-second delay at best and sometimes a 3-4 second delay with the DVR TV being behind the STB TV.  Hitting the FIOS button or turning the DVR off and on will reset the timing closer, but they are never in full sync.  Any way to sync the two to get rid of the echo effect?  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: TV's out of sync with each other
PJL
Master - Level 3

What you're hearing is a result of how the DVR works.  In most cases what you see and hear is really from a recorded buffer, not directly off the channel real-time.  You've discovered how to synch the feed better -- this resets the tuned channel on the DVR to more real-time.  You might try setting a recording on the DVR to another channel at the same time you're watching the channel you wish to "hear" on both STBs.  That might keep the buffer cleared and the output of both STBs more in synch.

pixed
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have same issue. All you need to do is hit the channel up twice and back down again on one of the remotes. If that does not work try the other one. This always works and it came from a senior Verizon tech.Smiley Happy

HNP

Thanks,

I figured the delay was due to a buffer.  I just hoped there was some way of turning it off.  Appreciate your taking the time to reply.

HNP

0 Likes
HNP

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a try.

0 Likes
naniac

Thank you! That works perfectly! I was almost ready to go back to Comcast.

Now if only my DVR would go on when I press the Power button on the remote! I have to place the remote directly on a specific place on the glass of the DVR just to turn it on at times. I've had no problems with the set-top non-DVR though. Luckily, today, finally, once I got it to start working, it let me use the remote fully. This glitch is truly a stumper...

I guess I'm going to have to ask Tim smith if he has someone at Verizon who can figure it out. Or go back to Comcast. I never had such a problem with Comcast.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@naniac wrote:

Now if only my DVR would go on when I press the Power button on the remote! I have to place the remote directly on a specific place on the glass of the DVR just to turn it on at times. I've had no problems with the set-top non-DVR though. Luckily, today, finally, once I got it to start working, it let me use the remote fully. This glitch is truly a stumper...

What is the placement of the DVR relative to the TV, and what type/model TV is it?  This sounds like what I see sometimes with my LCD TV.  When I first turn things on the STB won't respond for a period of time, but then is fine -- after the TV warms up some.  I lowered the LCD backlight setting on the TV and the problem disappeared.  IR intererence from both Plasma and LCD TVs is common on STBs, and not just FiOS STBs. 

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@PJL wrote:
... IR intererence from both Plasma and LCD TVs is common on STBs, and not just FiOS STBs.  

It's also an issue with remote IR networks.  I have several TVs that pass remote control IR signals multiplexed over coax throughout the network (to control remote DVRs, DVD players, audio, etc.).  If another LCD TV is turned on in the vicinity of the remote IR target, there will be interference.  However it's usually not enough to prevent the remote from proper operation.  This situation seems to indicate that using Bluetooth for remote control applications may be a very good solution.

0 Likes
jalderwood

@pixed wrote:

I have same issue. All you need to do is hit the channel up twice and back down again on one of the remotes. If that does not work try the other one. This always works and it came from a senior Verizon tech.Smiley Happy

YES!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jalderwood wrote:

@pixed wrote:

YES!

The bad news is that dumps the buffer, so you can no longer go back to look at something that occurred before you did it.  The other techniques mentioned do not.

Note that various delays caused by TV/STB design, even with no DVR, also bring such sync problems.  Usually under a second but noticable.  And sometimes the audio vs video sync problems.

0 Likes