TV turns off set top box and client then reboots
Capri22
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to help my grandmother with a weird issue. When she turn off her TV by her fios remote or with the TV remote it also turns off the set top box. This also causes the extra client box to refreeze and loose connection. Both TVs have to go through reboot after the Main TV and set top box come back on. We have tried everything including unplugging and resetting. Nothing works. I cannot find anything on this and verizon is so hard to get through to especially with an elderly and third person. If anyone has ideas please help. Is it possible that a setting was changed in the box? Why are the boxes tied to the TV? Is there something else missing?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV turns off set top box and client then reboots
Capri22
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought it updated but I am not seeing my post. My apologies. We found the problem and it was not tge box or the tv. It turned out that my grandmother had her tv plugged into one of those energy multiplugs but she switch the plugs so that the tv and box were not in the "always on" section versus the other section. It was so simple that we almost missed it and only fogured it out by mistake. I don't know if yours is that simple bit check how your main box and tv are plugged in.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look in the menu Menu > setting > audio and video > video settings > TV input control and disable it. Reboot the boxes and see if that helps.

0 Likes
77Andy

Did you end up finding a solution to this issue?  I am having the exact same problem.   Everything works well on both TVs so long as the tv connected to the Fios One box remains on.  But when the tv is powered off it forces the STB to reboot and then the mini STB loses signal.  Have changed the power outlet it is plugged into and even got VZ to replace the main Fios one box.  Changed the HDMI wire between the TV and the STB. Etc.  still doing it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try this: Menu > setting > audio and video > video settings > TV input control and disable it. Reboot the boxes and see if that helps. If not look for CEC control on the TV and disable it. CEC goes under different names by manufacturer, you may have to look up your particular make to know what to disable.

0 Likes
MEK

It would be nice if people would update these threads on whether or not their issue were resolved and what did they do to resolve the issue. 

I have the problem where when I turn off the family room tv, the vms4100 reboots within five minutes of turning off the tv. Tv input control is disabled on the vms and the cec control is disabled on the tv. Tried rebooting the vms and power cycling the vms and still no fix. It seems like the tv and vms need to be powered on for a couple hours before this failure occurs. In other words, if I watch tv for a hour and power off, the vms doesn’t reboot. Seems like maybe a defective vms. Will need to move the vms to the bedroom and the pic to the family room to see if the problem stays with the vms. 

will update this thread with the results. 

0 Likes
Capri22
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought it updated but I am not seeing my post. My apologies. We found the problem and it was not tge box or the tv. It turned out that my grandmother had her tv plugged into one of those energy multiplugs but she switch the plugs so that the tv and box were not in the "always on" section versus the other section. It was so simple that we almost missed it and only fogured it out by mistake. I don't know if yours is that simple bit check how your main box and tv are plugged in.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes