TVs Next to Each Other — Remotes Controlling Both TVs
HelpMePlease11

So here's my situation: I have two Samsung TVs mounted next to each other, with two FIOS One cable boxes (one for each TV). My problem is that each of my remotes are controlling the volume on both TVs, instead of just one controlling one. But they do only control the channel changing for the individual TV each box is connected to.

But this is problematic because I want to be able to mute one TV and have the volume up on the other.

I also sometimes get this error message that pops up on the TV opposite of the one I'm controlling. 

Any ideas or help fixing this? Thanks! 

0 Likes
Re: TVs Next to Each Other — Remotes Controlling Both TVs
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HelpMePlease1 wrote:

So here's my situation: I have two Samsung TVs mounted next to each other, with two FIOS One cable boxes (one for each TV). My problem is that each of my remotes are controlling the volume on both TVs, instead of just one controlling one. But they do only control the channel changing for the individual TV each box is connected to.

But this is problematic because I want to be able to mute one TV and have the volume up on the other.

I also sometimes get this error message that pops up on the TV opposite of the one I'm controlling. 

Any ideas or help fixing this? Thanks! 

Ok, try unpairing both remotes. Turn off one Fios box and one TV,  pair 1 remote to the ones that are on.. Turn that box and TV off, turn the others on, pair the other remote to them. That SHOULD achieve what you need.

HelpMePlease11

Tried this, but it didn't work. The FIOS remotes were still controlling both TVs — turning both on and off, and controlling the volume for both simultaneously.

Any other ideas? FYI, the TVs are the exact same brand and type. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HelpMePlease1 wrote:

Tried this, but it didn't work. The FIOS remotes were still controlling both TVs — turning both on and off, and controlling the volume for both simultaneously.

Any other ideas? FYI, the TVs are the exact same brand and type. 

I get one demerit for not thinking this through. The Fios remotes do RF to the Fios box,  but infrared to the other devices. So re-pairing will do nothing as you found out. Sorry about that. The problem is both TVs use the same codes for functionality,  so unless you can find a way to reprogram one of the TVs for a different remote code you cant fix this issue. Check the owner's manual as I've seen some TVs and other devices have up to 3 different codes for the remotes. Once you change the code set for 1 TV, use the code search for 1 remote to control that TV.