Temporarily disable a set-top box
GODCYPH

I have someone who lives with me and is constantly late on their cable payments.  Is it possible to temporarily disable their set-top boxes when they have missed a payment, and then re-enable them when they have paid? Believe me, this is the last headache I need right now, but the payments keep coming later and later.  I have already paid the bill, of course, since I don't want to lose my service.  I think that if I cut off their service, maybe they will get the message. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Temporarily disable a set-top box
PJL
Master - Level 3

@GODCYPH wrote:

I have someone who lives with me and is constantly late on their cable payments.  Is it possible to temporarily disable their set-top boxes when they have missed a payment, and then re-enable them when they have paid? Believe me, this is the last headache I need right now, but the payments keep coming later and later.  I have already paid the bill, of course, since I don't want to lose my service.  I think that if I cut off their service, maybe they will get the message. Any ideas?

Maybe try a parental control set by time (all 24 hours a day) with a password that only you know?

0 Likes
GODCYPH

Thanks for the suggestion, though I don't think it will work for me.  This would require me to enter their living space, something I'm not willing to do (being a very private person myself).  I am hoping for an online solution; this doesn't seem a terribly difficult thing to do since all set-top boxes need to be activated before they'll work on the network anyway.  My guess is all one would need to do is disable the boxes based on serial number, but I have not seen an option to do so. Thanks for your consideration though! 

0 Likes
Drew_from_Dover
Contributor - Level 2

If you do manage to have their box cut off they will simply call the cable company asking them what happened and it will come back to you with an angry roommate in your face. 

You're not avoiding a confruntation with this solution, just postponing it. I had roommates and the best solution is to talk it out with them. Have them pay what they owe or get another roommate.

Going behind someone's back is never the answer and virtually always has them turning around to find you there.

Not really a Verizon answer but one I hope will help.  

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

You can manage the parental controls remotely using the function on myverizon.com. 

0 Likes