Terrible FIOS TV service
Grumpy23

Verizon,

I do not get Verizon FIOS. It is bad enough the company continues shunting customers in the U.S. to foreign call centers where most representatives spend so much time repeating: “I’m sorry, sir,” that they never listen to what is actually wrong.

But they blame YOU for whatever is amiss.

When you insist on talking to a U.S.-based representative, their reluctance is so hesitant, it borders on loathing My problem is I cannot tune into my local CBS-TV channel on FIOS TV. This has been going on for weeks. But I pay my bill on time every month.  

However, the dilemma MUST be my fault. “It’s the wires. It’s the set top box. It's your socks. You’ve had them on for three months.”

I've only had this new set-top box, which FIOS insisted I get, for two years. "You need to upgrade (and pay more money). We can send someone out to you (but you must pay for it).”

So, I asked to cancel my service. “Oh, you must pay $280 termination fee.”

WHAT? I thought FIOS did away with contracts.

But apparently, not for aging senior citizens on fixed incomes.

What a thoroughly disgusting company.

0 Likes
Re: Terrible FIOS TV service
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Grumpy2 wrote:

Verizon,

I do not get Verizon FIOS. It is bad enough the company continues shunting customers in the U.S. to foreign call centers where most representatives spend so much time repeating: “I’m sorry, sir,” that they never listen to what is actually wrong.

But they blame YOU for whatever is amiss.

When you insist on talking to a U.S.-based representative, their reluctance is so hesitant, it borders on loathing My problem is I cannot tune into my local CBS-TV channel on FIOS TV. This has been going on for weeks. But I pay my bill on time every month.  

However, the dilemma MUST be my fault. “It’s the wires. It’s the set top box. It's your socks. You’ve had them on for three months.”

I've only had this new set-top box, which FIOS insisted I get, for two years. "You need to upgrade (and pay more money). We can send someone out to you (but you must pay for it).”

So, I asked to cancel my service. “Oh, you must pay $280 termination fee.”

WHAT? I thought FIOS did away with contracts.

But apparently, not for aging senior citizens on fixed incomes.

What a thoroughly disgusting company.

Did you try to get a tech visit to your home? Did you try any troubleshooting yourself? Does anyone else in the neighborhood with Fios have the same issue? Did you try to get a replacement box? Did you post your problem here BEFORE you decided to trash the service? Look here: Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools > Fix FiOS TV Issues and do the diagnostics? Also try this: Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools > Self Diagnostics. And you could try unplugging power to your router and Fios box for at least 3 minutes. Then plug power back in for the router, wait until it is stable and connected, then plug power back in for the Fios box.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly with other customers here.

You've been given some good advise on how to diagnose the issue on your own.  If you need more help, feel free to post feedback and several of us regulars will be happy to help.  Details such as set-top-box model numbers and what happens when you tune to CBS will be helpful; as the only information we have is what you post.

It sounds like you're still on a contract.  While Verizon does offer "mix and match" plans that don't have contracts, their old contract plans are still active.  If you renewed a contract recently, that would explain the $280 termination fee.  You can switch to a mix and match plan at any time.  I think you can do it through the web site, if not you can contact them.  Depending on your current plan, a mix and match plan might cost more, or maybe less.

If you'd like to try and work with Verizon, know that a very good way to reach their support is through their online chat.  If you call or chat during US business hours, you may get a US based representative.  They also have a social media support team that can be very helpful.  To reach them, tweet @verizonsupport or find the Verizon page on Facebook.

0 Likes
Grumpy23

Oh, this is rich. You act is if I have done nothing.

I have reset this stupid set top box more than a few times. Customer Service and a Tech Rep have reset it. I’ve checked and rechecked the wires, removed them, put them back. The same with the set top box power cord.

Still no CBS-TV in Hi-Def.

All I get is: You need to pay more money.

If you think I am going to allow some stranger to enter my apartment during this pandemic, masked or no, you’ve got to be crazy. Especially if I have to pay for it.

I troubleshot my own outages with the old set top box. I hardly watch more than ten of the so-called hundreds of channels supposedly available to me.

When does this “contract” run out? At the beginning of a new ice age?

I’ve had it with the lies, the promises of call backs and the nonsensical excuses.

One cannot work with FIOS. You just pay more and receive crappy customer service. I now how to get a U.S.-based customer service rep: I just demand one.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Grumpy2 wrote:

Oh, this is rich. You act is if I have done nothing.

I have reset this stupid set top box more than a few times. Customer Service and a Tech Rep have reset it. I’ve checked and rechecked the wires, removed them, put them back. The same with the set top box power cord.

Still no CBS-TV in Hi-Def.

All I get is: You need to pay more money.

If you think I am going to allow some stranger to enter my apartment during this pandemic, masked or no, you’ve got to be crazy. Especially if I have to pay for it.

I troubleshot my own outages with the old set top box. I hardly watch more than ten of the so-called hundreds of channels supposedly available to me.

When does this “contract” run out? At the beginning of a new ice age?

I’ve had it with the lies, the promises of call backs and the nonsensical excuses.

One cannot work with FIOS. You just pay more and receive crappy customer service. I now how to get a U.S.-based customer service rep: I just demand one.

If the problem is with only your box and location, assuming you have only ONE box, it is most likely a bad box. I've had a similar problem where the box refused to tune to one frequency, which affects 2 or 3 channels, but since you watch so few you probably didn't notice. Get them to ship a replacement box ASAP. By the way, I have to assume you did NOTHING, because you didn't include any details of what you did do.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Again, you're not talking to Verizon here.  You're talking to other users.  None of us are ever coming to your home.  None of us are charging you money.  None of us know anything about your interactions with Verizon besides what you post here.

If you'd like us to help you diagnose and maybe fix the issue, you'll have to tell us a bit more about the issue, as previously requested.

If you just want to complain and vent about Verizon's service, consider that done.  If you want to complain about the free help being offered to you, well, I say that's rich.

0 Likes