Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

The sound cuts out!

Seagal
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

The sound cuts out!

Message 1 of 7
(9,720 Views)
The sound is cutting out on most every channel on my hd stb. It sounds like a video on a slow internet connection. What is going on?
6 REPLIES 6
G-Pon
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: The sound cuts out!

Message 2 of 7
(9,691 Views)

Samsung TV using HDMI cable? If yes, switching to component cables (the red, white, green, blue & orange RCA jacks) will put the matter to rest quickly, permanantly and easily with no loss of quality. A few Sony TV's have also experienced the issue I've heard. Why? too many reasons to list, just Google the two words Samsung and Motorola.

If not, a Samsung TV using HDMI cable, other cabling/wiring issues should be troubleshot. Look for kinks in the cables. If the wires look like someone spilled a bowl of spaggetti back there clean it up a bit. Check for good firm connections at both ends.

The (MoCa) rates to that cable jack in that room might also be too low, a call to tech support for a test would be needed to isolate that, or a meter you could obtain.

If the computer in the set-top-box has become confused, causing poor processing, un-plugging it from the electricity for 10+ seconds then plugging it back in will re-boot it.

Oh incidently, if it IS a Samsung TV using a HDMI cable you have the only set of symptoms for which I've heard Samsung will send you a "hot-fix", but I just switched cables on mine & saved the HDMI for the Blue-Ray player. I like easy sure things, what can I say?

Seagal
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 7
(9,693 Views)
It's a Mitsubushi 57" rear projection using hdmi cable. It has been installed about 1.5 years now, by the Verizon tech. No one has been behind the set that I know of. But I will check out the cables and unplug the stb(hd/dvr).
G-Pon
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 7
(9,682 Views)
If that dosn't do it, a stronger re-set could be conducted by tech support (plus that MoCa rate test, a year and a half is long enough for a CoAx run to degrade a little). If calling 888-553-1555 is not a good option for you you can send a private message to me or TechMan via this forum next week.
Mark_S
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 7
(9,656 Views)
I have a 37" Toshiba HDTV and am having the same problem.  The TV is connect to the STB (QIP-6416, Motorola) via a 3' HDMI cable.  Everything is new in the last 3 months. (Northern VA)
Seagal
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 6 of 7
(9,593 Views)

Wow, I hope your not saying my coax might need replacing. It was 13 years old when Fios was installed(coax was installed when we built our house). 

I straightened out any tangles in wiring and I isolated the hdmi cable from the rest of the cabling by 6+", and reseated it. So sound comes through the hdmi cable?

Well unfortunately that didn't work. So I guess I need to call customer service.

drdental
Contributor
Contributor

Message 7 of 7
(9,581 Views)
I had the same problem with a Samsung HDTV. They came and changed the box and HDMI cord and that fixed the problem. It's been working OK since then with no problems.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.