Thinking to get FIOS. Need Info on DVR
BlackBeanie
I have been renting a TiVo Premium with my RCN cable tv service. I am leaving RCN and thinking to get FIOS which is finally available in my neighborhood. But I love the TiVo. Anyone has any hand-on experience wth Verizon's DVR?
In particular, I am most concern with 3 things:
1 With the TiVo, using their software I can transfer recorded shows to my PC. Can the Verizon DVR do that?
2 The RCN TiVo has 2 turners, so I can record 2 different shows at the same time. I chat online with the Verizon sales people, they say all their DVR's are single turner but then they said I can "watch one show while recording another. It even allows for recording two shows while watching a previously recorded show." I asked him how that's possible with only 1 turner in the box but they didn't know the answer.
3 Can I expand the capacity with an external hard drive?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thinking to get FIOS. Need Info on DVR
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BlackBeanie wrote:
... I am ... thinking to get FIOS ...
1 With the TiVo, ... I can transfer recorded shows to my PC. Can the Verizon DVR do that?
2 The RCN TiVo has 2 turners ...

Question 1:  No, not directly.  You can however copy material recorded on the DVD in real time to another recording device (e.g., a DVD-R device).

Question 2.  The VZ DVRs also have 2 tuners, not one.  They operate in the same way as the TiVo you described.

Question 3.  The latest VZ DVR units support an eSata external drive (evidently 2 TB max).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BlackBeanie wrote:
... I am ... thinking to get FIOS ...
1 With the TiVo, ... I can transfer recorded shows to my PC. Can the Verizon DVR do that?
2 The RCN TiVo has 2 turners ...

Question 1:  No, not directly.  You can however copy material recorded on the DVD in real time to another recording device (e.g., a DVD-R device).

Question 2.  The VZ DVRs also have 2 tuners, not one.  They operate in the same way as the TiVo you described.

Question 3.  The latest VZ DVR units support an eSata external drive (evidently 2 TB max).

0 Likes
BlackBeanie

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

And note you can use your TIVO with Verizon if you wish.  You will have to pay a monthly charge for a Cablecard ($3.99 I think).

0 Likes
SidR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't get FIOS.  They will rip you off.

Sidd

0 Likes