TiVo ILO Verizon DVR
ruggergordie

Given the significantly limited memory and features of the Verizon HD DVR, how does a TiVo unit work with Fios? Specifically I assume you purchase the TiVo and then get a service plan from TiVo? (never had one)  With the TiVo can you view recorded programs on any TV in the house like you can with the Verizon DVR?

0 Likes
Re: TiVo ILO Verizon DVR
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@ruggergordie wrote:

Given the significantly limited memory and features of the Verizon HD DVR, how does a TiVo unit work with Fios? Specifically I assume you purchase the TiVo and then get a service plan from TiVo? (never had one)  With the TiVo can you view recorded programs on any TV in the house like you can with the Verizon DVR?

Yes, Tivo is fairly easy to put on the Verizon service. You need...

1. Purchase a Tivo series 3 DVR (has cable cards)

2. Obtain Tivo subscribed service. (you can get this as month to month or as a lifetime subscription)

3. Get a cable card from Verizon. ($3.99 per month)

You get all channels and all the Tivo benefits.

As for multi room. No you would not be able to xfer programs from the Tivo to Verizon STB's. Now I'm not sure if Tivo can transfer to other Tivo's or not, but that would require you to purchase additional Tivo's for all rooms if it can.

0 Likes
Re: TiVo ILO Verizon DVR
prisaz
Legend

Yes Tivo to Tivo can be done. You can also share items from your PC to your Tivo.

Download Video that is not locked by the program provider from your Tivo to PC. VZ DVR does not do this.

There have been many posting on what you give up when you use a cable card. You do not get the wonderful Verizon channel guide, widgets, or VOD.

Do not get the previously owned Tivo unless you are willing to take your chances. 90 day vs 1 year warranty. 90 day warranty on something you have a 1yr commitment on. I had a big argument regarding a 100 day old "Previously Enjoyed Tivo" when the hard drive crashed. The cost for exchange was $50 and you had to send it and wait for the return. No TV until it comes back. Or pay for the Express exchange which is The same plus the full price of a brand new unit, when they are shipping a used unit that may not be better than the one that crashed. Once your unit arrives back at Tivo, you get the refund.

Tech support insisted all refurbished units come with a new drive. Perhaps newly formatted. Because the date on my drive was two years old. Yes they could have had the drive on a shelf somewhere, but not likely. Opening the box will void the warranty. Yea right. I replaced the 160 gig drive, which is the same size as the Verizon DVR, and installed a 1TB drive that cost me $100. Loaded the Tivo image on the new drive with the use of a program called Instant Cake $20. So if you get the cheaper Tivo and can to the tech portion of loading the image on the new drive, you get the same storage as the Tivo that cost $500+ less the THX cert. So if you are the tech type, I would say go cheap and take a chance on the refurbished and replace the drive yourself.

Other then that I am very happy with my Tivo.

0 Likes