TiVo compatibility
RichC3

I was told that the FIOS system doesn't work or doesn't work well with TiVo.  Does anyone know if his is true and/or if there is a fix for the problems?

0 Likes
Re: TiVo compatibility
prisaz
Legend

@RichC wrote:

I was told that the FIOS system doesn't work or doesn't work well with TiVo.  Does anyone know if his is true and/or if there is a fix for the problems?

Who told you this? I have a TiVO HD with a MCARD CableCard and it works fine. Mine is a year old. No Problems.

Things you will lose are the Verizon Video On Demand, Their Widgets, Their Guide.

Cable Card cost $3.99 and TiVO Subscription $12.99. .99 or .95 I do not remember exactly. Why people don't just say $4 or $13 is because the lower number up from makes it look better.

My TiVO works great. Paid $199 for it and replaced the HD myself. One thing to consider is some of the older hardware that does not support all the features of the cablecard. Most TiVO hardware should be fine

Read this thread.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/Cable-Card/m-p/233593#U233593

wdost

I have had Verizon standard definition  tv with Tivo for about 4 years, It all worked great until a few weeks ago when Verizon reprogramed my QIP2500 STB and deactivated the serial port which my Tivo was using to change the channels. I called Verizon tech support and was told that if I can change the channels with the remote they gave me that is all they are required to provide.,and that they will not turn the serial port back on because they do not support any other systems, read Tivo.  If I want to have auto program recording buy one of their DVR's.  So consider carefully.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm surprised the serial port approach ever worked to be honest.   However, the newer Tivo's that support CableCard  don't need a STB to function (they replace the STB).   As long as you have one of the  Tivo's that will support  an MCARD CableCard, you should be just fine.

Verizon will tell you that a bunch of stuff won't work if you go Tivo (namely VoD and Channel Guide), but if you need neither of these (Tivo has it's own channel guide, so you really only give up VoD), then you can ignore that concern and ask that they provide you with a CableCard installation. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

TiVo has a September special on the TiVo Premiere: $0 down and $19.95/month with a two year commitment (the normally $12.95/month TiVo service is included).

»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premi···dex.html

This is the model with the 320 GB hardrive but it is expandable by 1 TB with the supported external hard drive that can be had for a little over $100:

»reviews.cnet.com/external-hard-d···t;offers

Here is a link to the promotion.

»www.tivo.com/promo/gettivo

0 Likes