TiVo service with FIOS?
JMTtor

I was very excited about getting FIOS service in my neighborhood, checking on availability frequently from the time I had my FIOS Internet installed. But now it appears that there is no provision for using my TiVo DVR with FIOS instead of Verizon's DVR. I can't stand Comcast, and I've always objected to a monthly subscription payment for a box that you will be paying for many times over in addition to the monthly service charges that Comcast has. I don't have any Comcast box, because I can do everything I need with my TiVo. Is there no way to avoid the monthly subscription for a Verizon box by having a TiVo connection? If I'll require another box for my TVs, I'll cancel my priority install and stick with crummy Comcast rather than paying for two extra boxes. I like my TiVo too much to give it up (especially after reading some of the threads about what Verizon's DVR can't do).

If Verizon is following in Comcast's greedy footsteps by making subscribers rent Verizon's boxes -- spending hundreds of extra dollars to rent something that costs Verizon virtually nothing -- with no purchase option and no other alternatives, I'm very disappointed. 

0 Likes
Re: TiVo service with FIOS?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

FIOS systems support TIVO using a cable card.  These are avaialable from Verizon for $3.99 / month (I think).  You don't have to rent a Verizon box, however all "cable" providers encrypt other than the basic OTA channels and would require a cable card (and charge for it) to "unlock" these channels.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Keyboards is 100% correct. If you have a Tivo DVR you need to order cable cards from Verizon. The days of unencrypted service are nearly over. Everything is going to require a box or cablecard soon.
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 08-09-2008 01:02 AM
0 Likes
fiosuser
Go to the "Fios and Tivo" thread.  There is a good solution there besides the FIOS/TIVO card.
0 Likes