Tiling issues on QIP6416-2 on History HD, Syfy HD
nomad41

I'm having tiling issues on some HD channels. It mostly shows up on History HD, Bravo HD and Syfy HD. It usually clears up after five to ten minutes, but sometimes it doesn't. I've reset the HD DVR many times, and re-checked all the cable connections.

The DVR is sharing a splitter connection with a coax cable for the router.  This splitter (Splitter 1) connects to another splitter (Splitter 2) that connects to the ONT.  Splitter 2 shares the connection with a SD STB and Splitter 1.

Here's a diagram: 

ROUTER      HD DVR
   |            |
   | SPLITTER 1 |
   \____________/
         |        
TO SPLITTER 2

SD STB     SPLITTER 1
   |            |
   | SPLITTER 2 |
   \____________/
         |        

TO ONT

A technician supposedly came to install a new HD DVR, but I am not sure if he did (I left him alone while I got ready for work).

In the diagnostic menu (d04), I've witnessed times when there were 200+ uncorrectable errors (set on said trouble channels), but the SNR is almost always GOOD (between 32-36 dB, averaging around 34 dB). On occasion, it will be seen as FAIR, but very rarely, and it does not seem to coincide with the uncorrectable errors.

I have also noticed that In-Band Tuner 2 seems to have a better signal: it is more stable, almost never dipping below 34 dB and I have yet to see the SNR be listed as only FAIR.

One tech came over on a Sunday last week and checked the cabling, which he deemed to be just dandy. That following Monday, they replaced the STB. They are sending another tech over, but to be honest, these guys don't seem to be very knowledgeable: they just call up the office and ask for help =T

I have checked and switched all cabling to no avail.  At this point, I believe that it stands to reason that it is either the DVR coax cable or the DVR itself.  I suspect it is the DVR (with my admittedly very amateur opinion) because the second in-band tuner never has any signal issues.  The way I figure, if there were issues with the cable connecting from the DVR to the ONT (via the splitters), the second tuner would have issues alongside the first tuner.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

0 Likes
Re: Tiling issues on QIP6416-2 on History HD, Syfy HD
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well officially that SNR level should be 33 or better. 32 typically will indicate some tiling problems. So that is likely where the issue is.

Do you see tiling on your other STB or only on the DVR?

Did you try removing the coax from the DVR and reconnecting it? I know it sounds bogus, but you'd be supprised at just how often that works.

If you've done all that and the DVR did get replaced (I assume you had the problem with the previous DVR) then I would think that the line has been split too many times and likely needs a booster.  My best guess at first blush.

0 Likes
Re: Tiling issues on QIP6416-2 on History HD, Syfy HD
nomad41

I only see tiling on the DVR.  I set it to the same channel on the STB and there are no issues on the STB.  So that must mean the issue is isolated to the DVR.  I've also tried reconnecting and switching around all the cable connections, no luck 😞

I was thinking that it 's being split too many times too.  But if that were the case, wouldn't both in-band tuners be having issues?

I realized that all of my recorded shows were still available on the DVR after the tech left.  That led me to believe that he did not switch out the DVRs, unless he switched out the hard drives or somehow copied the shows over?  I don't know, I was getting ready for work, so he potentially could've transferred the shows or something, but somehow I don't think so.  I guess I'll have to watch the technician this time just to make sure he actually gives me a new DVR.

0 Likes