Time display on Set Top Box Freezing
haldeb

We have a QIP2500-3 STB.  About once a week the time displayed on the box when it is off will freeze during the early morning hours.  The colon will blink but the time will stay frozen at something like 2:50 (am).  When the box is turned on the clock resets to the correct time.  We turn the box off when we are finished watching TV for the day because we want the clock on in the room at night.   When the box is on, we have it set to display the current channel.  This problem started about 3 months ago.

A support technician performed a hard reset to the box and when it happened again the next technician had the box replaced.  It happened this morning on the new box.

I called Verizon support this morning and the technician told me he had 6 years experience on the job and never heard of this problem.  He went on to say that it was not a problem - the only things that were problems were when the box malfunctions while watching TV.  He also said that turning the box off was a no-no.  When I told him that the clock did not freeze for the first 3 years that we had FIOS he said that changes were made all the time and now I should not turn off the box.

I see that "figsgrandpa" posted this exact same problem to this forum on 11-14-2011 and traced the start of his issue to the 1.9 upgrade.

So there IS a problem.  I suspect there are many people out there just living with this issue or do not know about it because they leave their boxes on. Hopefully someone at Verizon will read this post, acknowledge the problem and plan a fix for an upcoming upgrade.

0 Likes
Re: Time display on Set Top Box Freezing
matcarl
Master - Level 1

It is a problem, Verizon is investigating it, you are not alone, don't listen to tech support, there is nothing you can do right now, hopefully it will be fixed soon. 

0 Likes
haldeb

Thank you "matcarl" for your reply to my post.

After thinking about the way the technician answered my call on 2/28/12 and reading your reply I decided to call Verizon again and speak to a manager.  I wanted to give some feedback as to how their technician treated a customer and to create an open ticket that might increase their awareness of the customer impact thereby adding to the urgency with which they worked on the solution.

The manager had not heard of this problem and insisted that he send out a technician to check out my installation before more serious symptoms showed up.

The technician came this morning and checked out the video signal strength and the light signal strength.  They were OK.

He was excellent.

After thinking about the the situation he decided to replace the ONT.  He said that the newer ONTs were different and might handle the interface differently.  He also said that by changing the ONT we would be ruling out the remaining hardware item and thereby focus the problem on software.

In our conversation I learned that the Router was not involved with the time signal from Verizon.

If the problem never shows up again, I will not know if the new ONT fixed it or if Verizon made a change based on the investigation you mentioned.  If it happens again, I will post that fact on this forum. 

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

It will happen again until the problem is fixed on their end, it's a software issue.

0 Likes